Odin

Symptoms of bowel obstruction?

I am way ahead of the game here, but here it goes. Odin, our Great Dane puppy has a orange "super tough" pretzel toy. He was happily chewing on it and brought it to me to throw it. A piece about 1-1.5 inches long is missing. I have torn the house apart, and gone through the yard with a flashlight desperately trying to find the missing piece. Given that our vet is closed, I cannot call them tonight. What should I be watching out for? I know the most obvious symptom of an obstruction would be vomiting, but I am wondering about other warning signs. He is 5 months, 30 inches at the withers, and 80 pounds if that helps. Amazingly we have never had an issue with him trying to ingest toys, so I am probably worrying a little too much at his point.

Asked by Odin on Dec 14th 2012 in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Best Answer

An intestinal obstruction can be partial or complete. Partial obstructions cause intermittent vomiting and/or diarrhea, which tend to occur over several weeks. Complete obstructions produce sudden abdominal pain and vomiting that continues without relief. When the blockage is in the upper small bowel, the vomiting may be projectile. Blockages in the lower GI tract cause abdominal distension and the vomiting of brown, fecal-smelling material. Dogs with complete obstruction pass no stool or gas.

answered on Dec 15th.

Answers

Other signs would be: lethargy, inability to settle, whining, straining to poop, but no stool, excessive panting, loss of appetite.
Stay calm & keep an eye on him. Best case scenario...he'll poop it out.
If he does show symptoms then take him to the nearest e-vet immediately.

Ikan

I have had toys ripped apart, and found them many months later. So maybe he did not eat it. Just do as the first to post say to watch for , and get him help if you see any problems. Good luck

Ikan answered on 12/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer