Swollen eye has become lumpy raw skin

My two year old boxweiler had a swollen eye this afternoon. He's quite clumsy and often bumps into things so I assumed it was a normal knock. Over the last hour the swelling has covered more of his face and when you touch his skin the surface is hard and lumpy around both eyes, his muzzel and forehead. He has started scratching it and the skin is raw under his fur where its swollen. What is this?

Asked by Member 1143357 on Dec 2nd 2012 Tagged swelling, itchingskin in Health & Wellness

Answers

It's hard to say and that it's his eye is concerning. Probably my first thought would be an allergic reaction, and I would give benadryl using the guidelines in these articles:

www.vetguru.com
www.walkervalleyvet.com

To discourage scratching, I'd put an e collar on him (that "cone of shame" you can get at the pet food store). If I didn't see improvement within one to two hours of giving the benadryl, or if he has breathing or vision problems, I would make a trip to the emergency vet. Either way, I'd follow up with my regular vet tomorrow.

Best of luck!

I wouldn't touch it it might be sore for him. Contact a vet or take a visit to one. They will give better a profesianal advice.They might give anitbiotics or cream. Okay?...