Switching to raw.. What to do About Diarrhea?

What is the proper way to switch a five year old dog who has always eaten kibble to a raw diet?

We have been doing breakfast as kibble & dinner as raw meat. We're on day 4, my dog seems happy, but has had terrible diarrhea. So bad that she even had blood in it, has even had accidents in the house. It makes me want to stop, but I want to do what's right for my dog. She's 72 pounds and we're giving 7.5 ounces of ground beef with a three ounce raw meaty bone with marrow. I tried green beans but they never came out even slightly digested, so I'm sticking to meat for now.

She's had NO hesitation about eating this food. That keeps my head up some. I just don't want to make her sick.

Is it true some dogs can't handle kibble & raw at the same time? Should I go cold turkey raw? Or call it quits?

Please help!!

Asked by Member 1054485 on Sep 9th 2011 in Raw Food

Answers

Alikazam

Some dogs like people don't always tolerate certain foods well it may not be the "raw" issue but a beef issue. You can try a different type of raw meat or even a processed frozen meat product like instinct or a cold processed raw kibble like Wysong. Usually blood in the stool indicates an irritation/ inflammation type issue. Means something is bothering them. U might try bison it is a non allergen meat according to the research I've done. Good luck

Alikazam answered on 9/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You'll get a lot more help if you post this in the raw forums, since that's where most of us rawbies hang out: www.dogster.com

Here's a thread with several resources on raw as well to help you learn more about the raw diet: www.dogster.com
I'd recommend stopping the raw temporarily until learning more about it.

Usually when raw is started, it's recommended to go "cold turkey", but start out with chicken for the first couple of weeks and slowly introduce other meats. Even then there's often a bit of diarrhea in transitioning, in fact it's to be expected...but blood is NOT normal.

It sounds like your problem may be be trying too much new stuff at once, but I'm not completely sure. Beef may be good to start out with, but what type of meat are the RMBs you're feeding?

Your dog new to raw? If so I think your offering too much variety too soon, should start with chicken the bone is more edible and you can adjust the fat by taking the skin off when new to raw.

My 55lb boxer handles chicken quarters fine.

"raw meaty bone with marrow."
This is another one of your main issues is this the only bone you feed how meaty is it?

Marrow in it can cause loose poop since it's rich and. Saya has been raw fed for two years and she handles marrow from lamb bones, pork bones fine I've given her the marrow from the round steak bone and she liked it coarse she didn't get the bone since it's too small and hard..

Beef marrow bones can be fine for some dogs, but some it's not good for if they try to crunch it up.

I think you should check the so your interested in raw thread on the dogster raw forums.

Chicken is best to feed first then slowly introduce beef with chicken meals and then pork etc..

Daisy

Well Daisy had problems with diarrhea when switching her to raw. I had way to much different meats to fast though. So I went back with her. For 2 whole weeks I gave her chicken rmb's nothing else. I watched her poo. Tail end of 2 weeks it was getting hard so I gave her some meals with just chicken then I slowly introduced organs and so on. Till you get to the point where things are balanced. This took a month and she still gets alot more bone then 10%.

Daisy answered on 9/10/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

cleopatra11

hi guys! the raw meat might be too much for his system with the kibbles! i would ask your vet and do not change his food to anything else abuptly! also some dogies systems are sensitive to certain foods! cooked rice with his food might help diarria! my dog gets it when i feed her anything new! good luck and ask a vet , wuf, cleopatra & joanne

cleopatra11 answered on 9/10/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shellie ate 50/50 (kibble for breakfast & raw for dinner) for several months when we first started. You are trying to give too much variety too fast....slow down. It is generally recommended to give Chicken only for the first 2 weeks, then gradually start introducing other proteins. It should be 80% meat, 10% bone, eventually 5% liver & 5% other secreting organ. Right now don't worry about the organs. Once your dog has stable poops on the chicken (I used Chicken Quarters with Shellie) then start adding things like beef, pork etc in small amounts. As for asking the vet....be careful with that as MANY MANY vets are NOT open to raw feeding so they will probably tell you to stop. I am lucky as my father is a Vet and he fully supports Raw and actually recommends it to his patients.