Mocha

Sudden fear of noises, other dogs, and people?

So after my first trip to the dog park with my female 1yr old blue heeler/ beagle mix she is suddenly afraid of everything what happend was a big black female German Shepard attacked her so I haven't gone back since, she's ok but I fear she will be afraid of dogs and people and even noises! It's been 2 or 3 months since this has happend. Before her experience she would run up to neighbors or other dogs go on her back to let be rubbed or to play with them! Now she just hides or barks and puts tail between legs whenever she sees another dog or person or even hear a loud noise in the distance! I really hope she doesn't stay this way always living in fear of everything before the only thing that scared her was storms. But other then that she was fine! Does anyone know if she will out grow the fear and forget what has happend to her that day at the dog park! I really need help and answers!

Asked by Mocha on Jan 20th 2013 Tagged fearfulscaredfrightened in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Milly

Unfortunately dogs dont forget things like that, like you wouldnt, but what you can do is help her through it with a sort of training therapy... I used to work as a dog trainer/handler/walker and i remember a yorkie that was similar, i had to create situations that she didnt like and praise her when she was relaxed, i also used food as a disraction (make sure u are not treating nervous or bad behavier)... you also need to allow her to meet other dogs in a controlled way but on her terms... maybe get a friend who has a friendly but most of all calm dog who would stand on a street corner and walk her past on the other side of the road to begin with and when she looks at it calmly treat her using food and praise and eventually get closer but dont rush this as u will make it wors. If she shows signs of wanting to approach the dog then let her in her own time. Do this with as many different dogs as possible but stay away from the park for a while until she is happy to great dogs again... x

Milly answered on 1/20/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

At this point this fear has become ingrained and fixing it thru answers in an internet forum isn't gonna happen.
I strongly suggest you consult with a certified behaviorist, NOT a trainer, and let them help you outline a program where she can be gradually encouraged to become less fearful.
Exposing her to further situations which cause her fear is called flooding and is only going to make it worse!
It is extremely important to make sure you are dealing with a certified behaviorist as they will observe you AND Mocha and develop a working program for both of you, something which cannot be done over the internet. Sadly, anyone can hang a shingle and call themselves a trainer without any education or testing...a CERTIFIED behaviorist has been correctly trained in dealing with issues like this!
Since she is still a baby, it should be easier as long as you don't encourage her fearfulness by flooding and get with a behaviorist immediately.
Good luck!!