sore spots from training collar,( shock collar sore spots are on his neck.) how do i treat the sore spot?
hes a puggle and the electric prongs are giving his red,bloody spots. I cant by myself get him in the car as hes having "training issues" . I washed it but I cant shave his fur on the spot what should I do. i washed it with a tearless puppy shampoo. is this a vet issue or not ? It's sunday so the vet is closed.
on Mar 1st 2009
in Health & Wellness
- Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!
Keep it clean for now, and when you can take him to the vet.
I'd also recommend either having the shock collar on a much lower setting or to use a different type of correction collar such as a gentle leader (preferably the latter, IMO) to keep this from happening again.
Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011) answered on 3/1/09. Helpful? / 3
Keep the sores clean until you can get him to a vet, just to be sure.
To prevent this from occurring again, either put the collar on a lower setting, or use a different correction collar such as a gentle leader. IMO, preferrably the latter.
Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011) answered on 3/1/09. Helpful? / 2
Either something is wrong with the collar or you are using it wildly inappropriately... I am by no means a fan of the shock collar (I train two much larger dogs than yours successfully without one and I'm only 5 feet and weigh 98lbs!!) but the fact that it is causing physical injury is seriously disturbing. Either find a professional e-collar trainer to show you how to use such a device appropriately or get a better collar -- or if it were me I'd throw the collar away and train without it. I guess I just fail to see the "need" to use something like this on such a little small thing.
Lastly, there is now a risk of infection from these open sores.. I would see the vet.
Kolbe answered on 3/1/09. Helpful? / 5
I would take him to the vet tomorrow to be on the safe side...Do you know that shock collars when used inappropriately actually cause major training issues?...I keep 4 Great Pyrenees who are wonderfully obedience trained & they are all over 100 lbs. & a hard tempered independent thinking breed to boot...Why oh WHY would you use a shock collar on such a small & easy to train dog???
Please find a positive reinforcement based trainer & learn how to train your dog!
First off, yes it is a vet issue. Sore spots from an ecollar are most likely BURNS and can become infected really quickly. Clean them with betadine or some hydrogen peroxide (betadine is preferable) and apply some polysporin or neosporin CREAM (not ointment if possible) and then see your vet tomorrow.
Second. Stop using the collar..it is obviously not functioning correctly or is being USED incorrectly. I don't know what your "training issues" are but an ecollar is not the right tool to be using on your puggle. Get a good trainer (positive reinforcement preferred) and get your pup the proper help it needs.
Please feel free to head into the B&T forum to give us more info on your training issues.
Cracker answered on 3/1/09. Helpful? / 6
Id keep it clean then take your dog to the vet the next day. Also dont use the collar at least until sore is fully healed. Also shock collars should not give your dog sores when used properly. Usually all you need is to use it once or twice and the dog will get the hint, otherwise its not working. I dont, myself like shock collars and its obviously not working for you so maybe think about calling up a trainer to help you out.
Daisy answered on 3/1/09. Helpful? / 2
Hi Guest...you can tell that most here are against shock collars. I'd really encourage you to pop into the behaviour and training forum. There are folks there that will have great suggestions and support for you to use a more effective and less painful training approach. It's not easy training a pup, but you can do it humanely if you seek out good support and advice. Please come into the forum so eeveryone can help you with alternatives.
JessAnneMarieLouise answered on 3/1/09. Helpful? / 1
You are leaving it on too long. A remote collar can cause pressure sores if left on too long. It's similar to bed sores on a person.
Most remote collars aren't designed to be left on for more than a couple hours. If you leave it on longer you will need a different electrode.
Molly answered on 3/1/09. Helpful? / 1
I think you've gotten some very comprehensive answers here.
I'd add this:
The "sore spots" from the training collar are actually more accurately described as WOUNDS. Unfortunately, the dog has been burned severely enough by electricity to cause the skin to be disintegrated.
The electricity in shock collars is often misjudged by inexperienced owners to be safe. It is not, under a lot of circumstances.
Please, PLEASE have your vet help you with using this type of collar if you intend to keep using it on your dog. The amount of electricity that can cause these wounds can most definitely cause an electrical distruption to the heart and kill your dog if you aren't careful.
Aside from that, I honestly can't imagine how this sort of "training" is going to help your dog. It's probably only making things worse and I'd urge you to try enrolling in a class or getting help from a trainer with whatever specific problem you have and using non-hurtful training methods.
Jack answered on 3/1/09. Helpful? / 4