Sophomore in college adopt a dog?

I've grown up with dogs and love them. I'm responsible and my Momma was gonna let me take this stray with me, but lucky for her we found her owner. I wanted one last year but didn't have the space. This year I'll be in a 4 bedroom house, which pets are allowed, with 3 dog lovers and a spacious yard. I will have class Mon-Thurs 9-12 and 4-6 and maybe go out some of the night on Saturdays. The rest of the time I intend to be home or out with friends. We usually go to a field and toss a frisbee, which I would love to bring my dog. I believe I have the time to care for this dog and will have no trouble financially.

I have been looking online at shelters for labs and collies (or similar breeds) at the age of at least 2-3 years (found one great 5 year old lab). That way I'm saving a dog and most of the training is done. I look forward to having a dog to make my new house a home (and someone to always toss the frisbee with ;) ).

Any advice, recommendations, tips, or naysayers?

Asked by Member 997575 on Jul 19th 2010 Tagged college, student in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Buckeye

I am very glad that you are wanting to save or rescue a dog. You'll be gone for a total of 5 hours a day, which is fine for an older dog that you are looking for.

If you cannot find the perfect dog, check out PetFinder.com. Simply enter your zip code or city/state and your preferances in the dog. Hopefully, several dogs will be listed and you can find a dog to adopt.

I don't know what other advice to give you, but once you get a dog, I'd gladly answer any questions you have about the particular dog that you own. You can Paw Mail me on my page with any questions or if you need any suggestions.

Good luck and thank you for rescuing a dog!

Buckeye answered on 7/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cody

It sounds like you could probably make it work. The only things I would think about are:

1) Get the support of your parents (or someone else who is a permanent home owner) so that if you should decide to study abroad, have more intensive classes, have to move to a different place, etc. you have a reliable temporary place your dog can stay.

2) Check with the shelter to be sure the "training" is done, if that's what you want. Some older dogs have spent their whole lives on a chain or in a kennel and do not have any training. Some dogs will also need a training "refresher course" when they move to a new home.

3) Check with your landlord to be sure the size and breed of your dog are allowed. Some places only allow small dogs, or don't allow certain breeds.

Other than that, good luck! Some shelters may not adopt to college students, but keep looking until you find the right dog in the right place!

Cody answered on 7/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gunner

I'm not a naysayer at all, but I do want to bring your attention to a couple of things. I wanted a dog in college, but I couldn't have one due to dorms. Looking back, I'm glad I couldn't because I did a lot of traveling and going out with friends. Instead, since I couldn't have a dog, I got involved with the local humane society, and I am SO glad I did. It had opened my eyes to so many things, and it gave me that "doggie time" I so desired while letting me keep my "freedom" that is such a part of college life.

Have you ever thought about fostering? You could get involved with a rescue and let them know you have room for an older dog who needs a place to stay for a couple of months, then you can get a feel of how much time, money, and energy you really have for a dog. Its a great way to test the waters if you're unsure. And rescues LOVE fosters. If it really works out you could even adopt your foster! Then you would be doing double duty on rescueing pups!

Gunner answered on 8/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer