So my siblings and I want a dog, how do i convince my parents?

My mom wants to say yes, but my step-father so dislikes the idea of a dog that she says no. We have done a program where you take home a puppy for 5 days and just play with it, and both of them LOVED IT! But whenever we bring up the subject they ALWAYS say no, no matter what we say. My siblings and I are very responsible and my parents say they know that and we have tried the whole chores thing. We've tried everything! But we all have enough money to buy a dog, double the supplies and some vet things. We should we do/say? (we all agreed upon a poodle, but my step-dad said they are ugly, awful, girly, and high-maitnence dogs....which they are not! we plan NOT to show the puppy, just a family pet)

Asked by Member 933090 on Dec 26th 2009 Tagged parents, puppies, adoption, responsibility, poodle, poodlepuppies in The Adoption Process

Answers

Sorry guest, but your parents make the rules & there is nothing you can do but wait until you are old enough to have your own place & a dog. If your stepdad does not like poodles, ask what kind of dog he does like. You may have to settle for temporary pups for now. There is a lot more to owning a puppy than just playing with it & loving it. You can never have enough money when an emergency happens! A puppy needs constant supervision, training & exercise. Who will look after it while you are at school? Who will get up and let him out in the middle of the night? Who will walk him twice a day rain, shine, snow or sleet? Sorry but your parents have the final word!

Shiver Me Timbers

I have to agree that your parents make the rules and what they say goes. Whether or not you want to follow them. I'll be completely and brutally honest here. EVERY dog IS HIGH-MAINTENANCE. It's a 24/7 job. You have to clean up after, walk, train(which lasts their whole lives. Not just a basic sit, stay, come, because they WILL challenge you), they need brain stimulation, physical stimulation, most breeds need a JOB to do, play with, feed and PAY for the dog in every way possible. These are not easy to care for animals. If you want easy, get a cat. Can you afford emergency vet bills which may cost thousands of dollars? Can you afford a trainer to come and help you properly train your dog? Have you done all the research about health, diet, training, etc? Do you have the time? Maybe try doing the research, write down all these questions and answer them to give to your dad. He may or may not come around and may decide that right now isn't the time. He knows you better than we do.

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 12/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Theodore aka Teddy  **CGC**

Ultimately the power is with your parents as you are under the age of 18.

However, I know that when I was your age, I was able to convince my parents of a few things by presenting a well thought-out plan. That's right, I would make signs and a speech and present it in front of my parents.

For example, if you want a dog, you could do a presentation that includes things like a dog walking chart, feeding schedule, money plan, etc. At the very least it will show your dad that you are serious about this and have put some thought into the dog.

However, like I said, it is ultimately your parents' choice, and as many of us know, begging and whining won't get you anywhere, so I suggest going with a well-planned attempt.

Theodore aka Teddy **CGC** answered on 12/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dogs are a lot of work, and puppies more so. Crates, obedience training,spay/netering and prevenative medical care can reduce some of the problems. Fleas, chewing, jumping on people, unwanted puppies don't have to be a problem.

Send your step dad to www.vipoodle.org

Also read the material I have posted at www.dogster.com and www.dogster.com

Done right, dogs can be a joy.

One of the best sources for dogs with a predictable personality is the rescue dogs. These are dogs that lost their home, but were taken into a foster home to be retrained as necessary and placed in the right home for them. You may find a rescue near you starting at www.akc.org The rescues charge a fee to help cover their expenses, but is much less than the price of a puppy plus all its medical expenses the first year.

With somebody the right age in the family, 4-H dog training is a great idea. In my area, clubs form soon after the first of the year. Even many urban areas have 4-H. For info look in your phone book under government listings for extension or cooperative extension offices. Ask specifically about a dog or canine club. The dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands a treat.

I had a Poodle as a very young child--his name was Rascal and we didn't ever do any expensive grooming on him. In fact, we clipped his fur ourselves. The show cut is unnecessary if you aren't showing the dog. I personally hate the show cut anyhow. And my Poodle was anything but girly.
All that said, it's important that everyone in your family agree to getting a dog. That way they're all happy.
Do your research on Poodles or any other breed you might be interested in and perhaps share what you learn with your dad. Also be sure to research all of the other aspects of being a pet parent: training, feeding (including choosing the right diet for your dog), socialization, etc.
Have your mom research, too, if she is willing. I am very young myself and the one who does all of the research in my family, because no one else is willing to take much time for it.

Mikey

Your parents house, their rules. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but that's what it is. And if you were to get a dog and slack on anything and your parents are left to care for the dog, who's to say that the pup wouldn't be given a new home.
If your parents aren't into getting a dog, you will need to find another outlet for being around them. Volunteer at your local shelter or find a rescue group that you can get involved in.
When the whole house isn't on the same page when it comes to animals in the house, that can spell trouble.

Mikey answered on 12/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Max (aka Sebastian)

I understand how you feel. I was never allowed to have an indoor animal of any kind when I was at home with my parents. As soon as I was out on my own I adopted a mini schnauzer from the pound.
Some suggestions I would have for you would be to volenteer at your local shelter, they always need volenteers, people to walk, feed or just play with the dogs. This shows your responsibility, looks good on a college resume, helps the homeless animals and gives you needed dog experance so you can be an even more succesfull dog owner when the time does come, Even though you can prepare with books and research, you will learn even more at the shelter.
I would also suggest going through a rescue to adopt, if you get an adult, it will be out of the puppy stage (chewing) and could even be housetrained(another plus to convence parents) These may be issues they are worried about, plus you will be saving a life. There are wonderful dogs in shelters, both my schnauzers are full-blooded and are adopted.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 12/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Delta

First, ask yourself some questions?
Will I be able to give the dog at least one hour of exercise each day?
Will I be able to pick up after my dog?
Can I keep this dog for the next fifteen years?
Will I be able to keep this dog safe? Examples: repair broken fences, ensure all doors are locked, chocolate, avocado, grapes, raisins, onions and garlic are kept out of reach.
Can I take my dog out for a daily walk?
Will I be able to afford sudden vet visits? Examples: broken limbs, poison ingestion, seizures. ( Believe me, once my dog broke a leg and if had been any worse, we would have spent over $3,000.00. And then she got into a cabinet and stole some chocolate which could have cost over $1,000.00.)
If you can do these, then get on an animal shelter's website or petfinder.com and look for poodles available for adoption.
Poodles are actually pretty high maintenance dogs. They have to be clipped every couple of weeks and are very smart. Remember, dogs are a lifetime commitment.

Delta answered on 4/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer