Kosar

Size of lab/newfie mix puppy

I just got a lab/newfie mix pupply last week and was told he was due to turn 7 weeks yesterday. He is very tiny and I'm concerned he is either younger than we were told or he isn't a lab/newfie mix. Also, his paws are very small, and I thought large breed dogs had big paws they had to grow in to. Does anybody know just how big/small this mix breed puppies would be?

Asked by Kosar on Jun 8th 2009 in Puppies

Answers

Megan

He needs to see a vet ASAP. Share your concerns with the vet.

And no, the breed mix is probably not even close to accurate. He looks like some pug or cocker mixes I have known.

Megan answered on 6/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Jessie~ I'm sorry my love

He is a cutie but he doesnt look like a big dog breed to me. Its true big dogs have big paws that they grow into. Espessially Labs. That would be my first sign he's not gonna be as big as they said. I would take him to a vet.

Jessie~ I'm sorry my love answered on 6/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I think he's an adorable puppy and probably not Newfoundland Lab but perhaps Lab and something else.

Regardless, at six weeks old he was WAAAY too young to be separated from his mother and litter mates. If you got him from a breeder, that breeder may have even broken the state laws in your area by letting him go before 8 weeks.

Having said that, the best place to start is your vet. Any time you bring home a new dog, be it puppy or adult, you should have him thoroughly checked out by a vet to make sure he's healthy and thriving. For a puppy this young, feeding is a serious issue since he's still so young. Ask your vet if you're not sure what a puppy of this age needs health and behavior wise.

They should also be able to tell you right away what they feel his breed makeup is. That way, you can know for sure if he's too small or he's simply another breed mix.

Good luck, he's just adorable.

Bubba

It looks to me like he could be a newfie lab mix. The big feet thing usually is more noticeable when they are a little bit older 4-5 months. Although I have seen plenty of labs that never have that "gawky" stage. His coat is definitely one that has been mixed with a dog with longer hair than a lab. After reading your diary, it sounds like to me it doesn't matter what he is mixed with. He is a perfect little puppy no matter what! If he is a newfie lab mix, chances are he will grow to be 60 pounds plus. Good luck with your new puppy; he is adorable.

Bubba answered on 6/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

He looks like many of the 7 week old black Lab puppies we have brought home. Many Lab mixes look very Lab. Except for the coat, Labs look much like the Nuefs they were bred from. The Neufs are about twice as big as Labs. Depending on which parent he inheirits his size from, he could be anywhere from 50 to 150 pounds.

If you have records of him having shots, I would call the vet and see when the vet would like to schedule the next shots. Our puppies usually have shots at 6 weeks and my vet wants the next ones or combo at 8 weeks. Otherwise get him for a check up and shots soon.

Six weeks is absolutely the earliest a puppy should go to its home. However both the dog guide school and the assistance dog school we foster puppies for have let us have 45 day old puppies.

Here are some links that will help, www.dogster.com and www.apdt.com

Packer

Packer ius lab golden retr...and 107 pounds..so..at the minimun..that size..his paws werent crazy huge..he was a little 6 week old ball of fluff rescued from (them) lol
that is an amazing mix..consider therapy dog classes after all of the obedience training..and lots of water play..

Packer answered on 6/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

mixed breads can be any size. there might be more lab in him than newfie, which could make him turn out smaller. Also, my neighbors purebread newf is only about 80 pounds(small for a newf) but i definently think Kosar's a newf mix. i have a 2 year old purebread newfie and that pic looks just like her when she was a baby. (someone said his face looked like a cocker spaniel's, but newfs faces do resemble cockers as pups) also, not all large dogs start with big paws and grow into them, so he still might be a monster when he grows up. im not a professional but i have worked with dogs for years and have also helped raise puppies from the day they were born, so i feel pretty educated on this sort of thing. like i said earlier, mixed breeds are a mystery until theyve matured. It is possible that every single pup from a mixed litter look different and be a different size. also, you can send in a dna sample to find out what breeds are in Kosar...it costs about $60. hope that helped a little.

Ned

I think you will have to wait and see, I had a newfie/lab mix and he was not as large as a newf. He actually got the size of his mother, who was the lab but he had all of the hair and characteristics for a newf! He was a wonderful dog as i am sure yours will be, the mix between the two breeds is incredible

Ned answered on 7/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi, I understand this answer way late but thought I would let you know we have adopted a so called lab/Newfie mix and it looks very much like your Kosar, our dog was 50 lbs at six months and now at one year is about 75 lbs, we too were wondering about his size and paws and wondered if he was really part newfie, he is defineately part lab and looks like a flat coated retriever but he is gorgeous as is your Kosar, I would love to see a more recent picture and would be glad to send along a couple of our boy, he sure loves the cold weather he will not come in on his own we need to go out and get him and it is 27 degrees out here in Boston