Siberian Husky and cats??

My daughter has been asking for a Siberian Husky for about a year now. I've finally decided she's ready for the responsibility and to be honest I've wanted a husky for quite a while myself. However, we have a feline family member. I've heard that husky's kill cats even if they've been raised with them. My cat gets along with everyone and all types of pets. He's the "I'm a lover...not a fighter" type. He's been around lots of different breeds of dogs including chows, labs, danes, pits, dobermans and rotties but, he's never been around a husky. Is there anyone out there whose had cats and huskies? What are some of the pros/cons?? Can it be done? Any success stories? I want to do my research before I commit to buying a husky. Also, if you think you know of another medium-large breed dog that would get along better I'm all ears. We've got plenty of room and loads of time to spend with him/her.

Asked by Member 731323 on Sep 8th 2008 Tagged cats, behavior, aggression in Siberian Husky

Answers

Lily

I have 20 years of experience with Siberians and cats. (2 dogs)
None of it bad. In one case, the cat was first and in the rest, the dog was first. Introduce them slowly. Do not leave them alone together until you are sure of the safety of both.
My only concern is that a Sib is a full of energy, playful dog and your cat may not be up for that. The dog will learn to respect that. The cat will need a high perch where he can hang out, if that is the case.
I have pictures of my last Sib and her cat eating together and playing together. They had a ball. When Sammicat needed a break, he went up high and the dog waited for him.

Lily answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The breed really doesn't make the difference as to whether or not they are 'cat friendly' - this is all a factor of the owner and whether or not they are introducted and maintained properly. Make sure that your new dog will respect your cats just as they would have to another dog. No chasing, no biting, etc. Puppies are easier to adjust to cats, as they don't have behaviors that tell them to do otherwise. If you are adopting a dog, then you might have to correct whatever issues they had with cats in the past, but this can all be fixed. I have had both Huskies as well as Doberman's who were not very cat friendly at all, but have all gotten over their issues. This can be done, and it all is up to you and your family to make sure the cat doesn't get picked on. Message me so I can help you further if you need to and let me know more details about your situation so I can help you introduce a Husky into your family :)

well put the husky and cat together and i would spend equa time with both of the so the dog doesnt get jealous

Finnigan

My first two dogs were both huskies--Lily and Ruby. Lily came to me as an 8 week old pup, Ruby came to me 3 years later, as a badly abused adult dog. Neither of these dogs had ANY issue whatsoever with our three cats. In fact, on any given chilly day, you could see all three cats snuggled up with them in their beds, or wherever they might be lying in the house, and there was never any chasing or any other questionable behavior. I don't recall even having to say a strong "NO!"

Whenever we would go to Petsmart, people would say, "Oh what lovely dogs, but I know they're cat-killers!" and it really used to enrage me. After Lily and Ruby passed, we filled our home with dogs again--still no problems with the cats!

What I have done with our GSD is to let her "see" what a cat is all about. Every now and again, she gets a little "nosy" and our Jack Sprat will smack her a good one--she retreats immediately.

I say go for it--Good luck!!

Finnigan answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ace

I have never heard of huskies and cats not getting along. I know I have a 5 month old Doberman/Lab mix, and he chases the cats everywhere. He would never hurt them, he is just trying to sniff them. Of course the cats dont like him, and that just adds to it. If you are looking for a large breed dog, mine at 5 months old is 42.1 pounds, and still growing. There is something you can look into if you are worried about the other breeds. Good Luck!

Ace answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My gentle, sweet cat was just killed by two huskies who got loose in my neighborhood. It was just horrible. A friend who has huskies told me that this is what they were bred to do, in order to supplement their food when at work pulling sleds.
They were like vicious monsters. I'm sure the owner thinks they are nice.
Paula Piekos

I am reading this and I am ready to cry because exactly one week ago my Persian cat was killed by my Siberian Husky. The cat lived with us for 15 years! She even survived a Pekinese growing in our family from a young puppy for a few years. Six months ago we adopted a 1 y.o. Siberian Husky. From the beginning the cat and the dog were nervous about each other: cat was petrified, dog was agitated. I kept them carefully apart only letting them see and hear each other from a distance. The dog "knew" that he wasn’t allowed to the cat's floor where there was a gate. That day I got distracted and walked out leaving the gate open. When I came back 5-7 minutes later, I found my dog running there, and my cat laying dead. I don’t know what exactly happened: dog could’ve tried to play with cat, and she touched him (his nose was bleeding), or he attacked first and chocked her. I want to get another cat, but I don’t know how to go by this time. Any thoughts anybody? Thank you.
Eugenia

The breed absolutely matters when is comes to whether or not a dog will get along with cats.
I just (like two hours ago) lost my cat of ten years to my new Siberian Husky. He got into her room and when she swatted at him, he broke her neck. He isn't a bad dog, just a high prey drive. I am devastated, and I wish I could go back in time.

A Siberian Husky WILL go after a cat, no matter how friendly they both are. My cat was a sweetheart, and honestly so is the dog. We have a long road of training ahead of us, but I'll be damned if I let him near another one or my cats again. If you can't keep them consistently separated, choose another breed. Save yourself the devastation. Watching your kitty die in your arms will sit with you for a long time.

My Great Dane/ Irish Wolfhound is fantastic with cats. Go figure.