Should my dog sleep in my bedroom?

I adopted this 2 year old Pomeranian at the local animal shelter and i just cant stand it sleeping in my room. Is it ok to have it sleep in hallway by my door or should a dog sleep in its masters room? Also, when i got the dog it said it had separation anxiety problems.

Asked by Member 1000500 on Aug 13th 2010 Tagged sleeping in Separation Anxiety

Answers

First off, a dog is not an "it!" But there is no danger having your pet sleep in the hallway & not in your bedroom. The separation anxiety will take patience to deal with. Hopefully someone else will remember the name of the excellent book that deals with this issue. Good luck & congrats on your adopting!

Twizzler

Its really up to you and your new pup. Congrats on adopting a new Pom! You will fall in love if you already haven't! :) A lot of people like to put their pups in a crate at night time so that they can't get in any trouble while their masters are sleeping and their is no supervision. Its good for you pom to have his own space. The crate should be a happy place for your pom to escape and should never be used as punishment.

Twizzler answered on 8/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

why can't you stand it' to sleep there? Are you nervous because you never had a dog?
For me my dog sleeps on the floor of the bedroom. And if she is not in there, I can't sleep. I get so nerved up about her not being there, she is my best friend.
You can buy her a nice soft doggie bed and place it on the side you sleep on, on the floor.
If she has anxiety then you will have to most likely let her sleep in same room. A dog will most likely try to sleep where it is more comfortable or feels the safest. That might be in a crate, floor, bed or hallway. goood luck.

Are you sure you really WANT a dog??? It is very disconcerning to hear you say "You just can't stand IT sleeping in MY room." First of all, a dog is a living, breathing companion animal and as such, dog lovers do not refer to their beloved pet as an "it". TV's and stereos and other items we own are referred to at "it", but not normally a pet who is expected to be a warm, loving companion to you. Terms most often used are he, she, my baby, etc., but NEVER it. Second of all, this dog's only desire is to please and love you, yet you can't stand it??? Something is really wrong here and I sure hope you either change your feelings for this dog OR return it to the shelter where it can hopefully find someone to love it unconditionally!

Belle

a shelter dog are the most amazing dogs once you get used to them. you need to make sure "it" feels safe. and why would you refer a dog to and "it" thats really rude. separation to a dog is a huge deal. is it really that hard to let a dog sleep in your room? i think not. its a small dog. its not a 120 pound dog whos gonna take up half of the bed. are you sure you know what your getting into? i hope so. so letting a dog sleep in the bedroom ISNT a big deal.

Belle answered on 8/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

So if I had a new puppy and I said I really loved it. Would I be attacked for calling her an it? What if I rescued it from a shelter? Or am I supposed to call her by name to people it means nothing to?