Should I take my dog on a vacation? Do you travel with your dog?

I know that this world isn't exactly pet friendly but how hard would it be to find a hotel that lets a pets stay. I plan on going to northern California on a road trip. I don't want to leave Ein in a kennel but I don't want to leave Ein in a unfamiliar hotel room either. Any suggestions on what I should do? I know that we will do a lot of things that involve the dog but how about when its dinner time? restaurants don't let dogs in.

Asked by Member 747865 on Jun 8th 2009 in Lodging

Answers

You can travel with your dog but you have to make some sacrifices. California specifially is very dog-friendly. Many major hotel and motel chains welcome our four legged friends and that's a great thing. But, there are still some guidelines to be followed:

Most of the time, hotels don't allow you to leave your dog unattended in their rooms. If they do, make sure you don't leave him alone for more than an hour or so; as you said, it's a strange room for him and the last thing you want is for him to be stressed.

For restaurants, you can plan ahead and make arrangements to eat with him at outdoor restaurants that welcome dogs. There are many dog friendly options but obviously it's usually casual to mid-level restaurants and you'll have to eat outside with him. Another option: a place that has a parking lot where you can see the dog and leave him in the car while you eat.

thebark.com and dogfriendly.com and westin.com might help you plan your trip.

Hope that helped!

I am finding travel less friendly now, than even a year ago. Many places are charging a fee for a pet and limiting the size of the dog.

As far as food goes, you have take out, Domino delivers, and room service.

Stormy

I work at a dog boarding facility. We have dogs of all shapes, sizes and temperments come through our doors and stay for anywhere from 1/2 a day (daycare) to well over a MONTH!!!
95% of the dogs all love it and they get to go play outside with tond of friends and be a dog! Most of the HUMANS have a hard time saying goodye but once the doors shut, the dog has already moved on to bigger better things!!

You could scope out local doggy daycare places in the area.. and drop him off there in the morning while you go explore and visit and pick him up at the end of the day. He will be all tuckered out and ready for bed when you get to the room.

California is one of the more dog-friendly places and a lot of hotel chains do let dogs stay, even if there is a small deposit or fee attached (usually around $10)

You could always just get drive thru food. Even some restaurants nowadays like Applebees and Chilis have a Carside Take Out you can order ahead and go pick up. Lots of options!

Stormy answered on 6/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I live in northern Ca. and it is probably one of the most dog friendly places in the country. If you have a specific city you're going to be visiting on specific days, I would google some day care facilities or dog walkers and set up something in advance. There are a lot of (licensed, bonded) dogsitters who will walk your dog or a lot of dog sitters have dogs stay at their house. There are so many options here in regards to dog walking/boarding.
In regards to restaurants, no they don't let dogs in, but a lot of them allow you to have your dog sit with you if seated outside. The cute restaurants near my house are quite famous for that.
If for any reason you can't work anything out, I would bring a crate along with you and if you need to go out w/o Einstein, I would put him in the crate so he at least feels safe in the crate while in the room. That is if he's crate trained.
Lots of shoreline and parks for Einstein to enjoy while you're here. Have a great visit.

Packer

we travel A LOT as a dog friendly family..search dog friendly on the web for a start..pre plan your trip so you know what will be dog friendly.Northern CA is very dog friendly with lots of activities..look for PATIO restaurants and eat a bit later than usual..its cooler and less crowded.
never leave fido in a car or in a motel alone(obviously)
super 8 best western la quinta..just a few pet freindly stays..and we also do state parks with cabins(not much diff in costs)have an alternate plan of somebody to walk and sit for you..Ive done a couple of hours of dogie playcare when i wanted to do something like a show or training event..

Packer answered on 6/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer