Booba

Should i neuter my dog if he is 3 years old.

Hi guys i have question about my beautiful shar pei boy Booba i got him while i was traveling in europe end couldn't get him neutered over there so when i fly beck to home he was over 1 year end my veterinarian says its will short his life because he is over 1 year old end at the same time without mating he can have health issues. Any advice will be great thanks a lot

Asked by Booba on May 23rd 2012 Tagged dogmatingneuter in Health & Wellness

Answers

Age won't make much difference, except maybe for an elderly dog.
Neither does he *need* to mate. That's a myth.

The only issue I can think of if he'd have problems with the anesthesia, as some dogs do.

It wouldn't really hurt anything to keep him intact, either, as long as you're responsible about managing him.

First off..find a new vet...yours is full of hogwash! In a larger breed or heavy boned it is recommended to wait until the growh plates have fused. For my dog, this was at 2 years old. It is NEVER too late to neuter.
There is no truth that a dog "needs" to mate. That is a male-human thought, not a dog's imperative.
I personally recommend speutering for all pets, if you do not plan to breed, or there are no medical reasons not to.
I do know some responsible people who can successfully keep intact dogs, but I know far more who are not careful enough.

Skarlet

I agree with the others, it shouldn't cause any problems as long as he is otherwise healthy. You may want to look for a vet that is better educated. I would recommend neutering not just for the obvious reason of avoiding unwanted litters but also because of the aggression issues it can cause with other dogs. Even if he's good other dogs might react to him differently. I worked with a male that was absolutely fine with other dogs, even if they had bad attitudes, unless they were intact males. In which case he would have tried to kill them even if they were not aggressive. Just something else to take in mind when making that decision.

Skarlet answered on 5/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Merlyn

The pros and cons of spay neuter surgeries are discussed in an article published in a Vet journal and quoted here www.naiaonline.org

This article summarizes 50 peer review published studies on spay neuter and disease outcome. Lots to think about! If I were you I would shop around for a vet that works with your breed of dog.

Merlyn answered on 5/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Papi

Your vet is full of it. Allowing a dog to breed will not effect his life and neither will removing his ability to breed. Neutering a dog is responsible and actually can make your dog calmer, less likely to roam and, it can stave off testicular cancer in dogs.

Papi answered on 5/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer