Violet

Should I muzzle my dog to prevent her from eating dangerous substances?

My 8 month old German Pointer x Mastiff mix Violet has a habit of eating things that she shouldn't. I've fenced off sections of the garden where there are dangerous plants, I keep the doors to my families bedrooms shut and try to keep everything out of her reach. But it doesn't seem to matter how hard I try to keep her out of harms way my family always seem to leave something within her reach and after her eating ibuprofen and printer ink in the same week I'm at my wits end.

I'm considering a muzzle for her to wear when I can't supervise her 24/7. I can't help but worry that without one Violet won't live to see her first birthday unless I lock her in a cage all her life (which is most certainly not an option).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of muzzle would be suitable? Or have any reasons why I shouldn't use a muzzle or maybe have any alternatives in mind?

EDIT: I'm trying to teach her only to eat things when I tell her too, so far no success outside her meal times.

Asked by Violet on Nov 3rd 2010 Tagged muzzle in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Sadie and Oakley

before going straight to a muzzle have you taught her 'leave it' for when you are around and she tries to get something she shouldn't that way she can learn but she can and can't have

second for now when she cannot be supervised have you considered crating or gating off a section for her. WHen my two can't be watched (for the same reason they get into a lot of things they shouldn't) they are put in a small area that is gated off baby gates and has a dog bed, their crate, their water bowl and some toys. they alwasy go into this gated off area when we leave home or when no one can watch them

Sadie and Oakley answered on 11/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

A big part of the problem is not knowing what is "dog stuff" and what is "people stuff" - and therefore off limits. Some dogs will chew people stuff to get attention. Any attention is better than being ignored - ignoring is the worst punishment to a dog - it's what they do with their own kind. She needs more leash walks & other exercise. She needs mental activities/exercise as well - she's bored!

In the link below, if you read the 6 steps, you may notice you only do step 1 or 1 & 2. Most owners don't do 3-6! OOPS!
www.dogtalknation.com

Start with that, and sign up for training classes ASAP. (another helpful link)

shine.yahoo.com