should i have my dog put to sleep?

i have a 21 month old american bulldog called boston. boston is a friendly loving dog but the other day he bit someone! he has bit once before but not as bad. i just dont understand why hes doing it! hes fine when i take him for walks and he dosnt fight with other dogs. i dont no when hes gunna bite because he shows no signs. hes fine with most people but sometimes he just turns! i dont no weather to re-home him or have him put to sleep? i dont no what to do because i love him alot but i carnt risk him biting again! :(

Asked by Member 935846 on Jan 5th 2010 in Aggression

Answers

Rusty

It is unfair to just put the dog to sleep. What have you tried to stop the problem? Have you had a trainer or behaviorist look at the dog? What about a medical exam? There are many reasons a dog bites - and even though we don't always SEE the signs, they are there. Sounds to me like you are jumping the gun.

Rusty answered on 1/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

CREEPSHOW

Get a good trainer who will show you how to handle the dog and what signs to look for.

CREEPSHOW answered on 1/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jewls

ask you're self is you're dogs life worth time to train it? at the very least you can warn people that you're dogs bites....

Jewls answered on 1/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm going to be very blunt here because I feel strongly that your dog's life is at stake. Please understand that my bluntness is intended to be helpful, not personal. With that said-

Why on earth would you immediately consider putting him to sleep when his problems are more than likely not only something you can help him with but your basic responsibility to him as his owner.

I can guarantee you, even without knowing your dog, that there most certainly ARE signs that he's going to bite. You just don't have the ability to recognize them because you're not aware of the problems that have led up to him being aggressive.

Before you let him down entirely by putting him down or rehoming him (where he'll more than likely not get the help he needs and end up being put to sleep anyway, after a bunch more turmoil and a painful separation from you) please, PLEASE take responsibility for this and hire a trainer to work with you. This may be a highly solveable problem but YOU need to help him!

I agree with Jack. The only differing opinion I have is to hire a behaviourist, which is different from a trainer. A behaviourist will be able to assess the dog's behaviours and help you recognize the signs of an impending bite. They will also help with a behaviour modification plan aimed at getting to the cause of the biting, not just training bite inhibition. However, if you do not have access to one, then absolutely get a trainer. Choose carefully, do not be afraid to ask questions, get references & check them. Also look for someone who advocates positive training methods, not harsh corrections such as leash jerks or muzzle pinching.

Most dogs are capable of rehabilitation--follow Jack's advice.
Situations like this could be avoided if only people took the time to really research how to properly raise and train a dog before getting one...

I agree you can't just give up. There has to be something that is going on here.
I mean you say he doens't warn he just sometimes bites. Where is the dog at?? to do this. Some dogs even at this age have a hard time dealing with kids crawling all over them or people leaning over them. There is some things and situations that we may not even be totally aware of at times like that. You are somewhere having fun talking and not watching people and then the dog is so stressed out he panics.
I advise finding out by watching what the dog is uncomfortable about and try to avoid it.
Try going to the behavorial link on dogster and seek the help of other dog owners about what to do. Click on forums and then go to training/behavorial section.
Sounds like to me with the info you gave the dog is in a situation that he feels bad in when he bites.
If I had the room i would take him.

All dogs that bite show signs. They are usually missed because the signs are very subtle. Don't have him put down. Find a trainer to help you. They would be able to help you figure out the trigger that sets him off. Usually any local humane society will have classes. Don't give up. I have a dog that bites. With work and time, you can fix it.

Good Luck!