Should I get my dog "fixed"?

I have a male American Pit bull terrier and he is just the most handsome dog ever. But i have never owned a male before. I want to get him "fixed" But will it make him lazy? Will it help with the little bit of aggression he has toward other animals? I don't know if this is just a old wives tale or what because like I said I have never had a male before just females.

Asked by Member 612325 on Mar 26th 2008 in Aggression

Best Answer

Cash TT

Your dog stays safer if you neuter him.

No worries of testicular cancer and or enlarged prostate, no unwanted litters (and litters are expensive and time-consuming!) no wandering dog to hunt down, no city fees for unfixed animals... No Animal Control to call you about your beastie, a decreased aggression, no male dog-fights, no fear of females in heat... and if you do it early enough, you can even stop males from spraying!

And not only that- from one pittie owner to another- it makes your dog less desirable to those that may want to steal them. I've had shady people ask about Cash's lineage to only do a 180 when I say he's fixed.

Cash TT answered on Mar 28th.

Answers

Monroe (Buckshot)

Yes, yes, and yes! Please have your dog fixed-it will be the best decision you've ever made! If you have him fixed, you will not only be doing your part in the pet overpopulation problem, but he will live a longer, healthier and happier life.
If you get him fixed, his personality won't change. It won't make him uglier or lazier or anything. It will though, decrease aggression, and the want to roam and seek out females in heat. And he will probably pay more attention to you. Please for the love of dog have him fixed, you won't be sorry!
Good luck

Monroe (Buckshot) answered on 3/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Sugar Magnolia

listen to the words of the immortal Bob Barker:
SPAY & NEUTER YOUR PETS!

Sugar Magnolia answered on 3/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Yes. Neutered male dogs wander less, aren't as interested in females, and are more focussed on people than intact ones.
It is 100% possible to have an intact dog that is well behaved and trained and most intact dogs are just as trainable as any dog, but neutering your dog will make him healthier too.
IMO, unless there is a health problem and it would be best not to neuter till it is passed or if you are going to be a reputable breeder who really cares, then everyone should get their dog spayed and neutered. I'm 100% percent against it being mandatory though.

Miss Buddie

Definitely have him neutered. It will increase his health and quality of life and life expectancy.

Miss Buddie answered on 3/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Odie-Wan-Kenobi  CGC

Yes! you should have your dog fixed as soon as possible. No it will not make him lazy but it might decrease his activity level by a tiny bit. It might help with his aggression problem but it might not. Some dogs just don't like other animals. Also some breeds ( such as pit bull terriers) are by nature not real dog friendly dogs

Odie-Wan-Kenobi CGC answered on 3/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

All dogs react differently to being neutered. Some dogs don't have observable changes. Others change dramatically.

Usually, though, the changes are somewhere in the middle. Most dogs have a slight decrease in aggression that is related to hormonal issues. Some become a bit more mellow. But, if the dog has issues with aggression towards other animals, neutering him won't "fix" the problem, in most cases. You'll still want to work on obedience with him or get help from a trainer to work through those behavioral issues which are resulting in the aggression.

It certainly won't make him lazy. There shouldn't be any kind of substantial change in his energy level.

Harley

please have him neutered I work with a rescue group and plus 6 to 8 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year because a lack of homes. Male dogs are more likely to roam and become aggressive. I understand your feelings for breeding Please neuter him :( good if you want to consider breeding him follow these guide lines first and think about it

Harley answered on 3/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yes!...Have him neutered!...If he is young enough it will help to curb aggression issues but once they become behaviors neutering will not help much!
It will not make him lazy & will help to keep him from trying to roam off & maybe getting lost, stolen, hit by a car & the like!

Beau

We neutered our purebred GSD - and if he's lazy now, I'd sure hate to see him if he wasn't! Like the other posters say, neutering will keep him from wandering to find those female dogs in heat. I know a number of people who did not neuter their male dogs who wish they did because the dog ended up getting hit by a car because it was looking for the female dog.

Neutering won't make your male dog 'less of a male' either. Please, neuter your dog, for your peace of mind and for his health.

Beau answered on 3/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Inkee

Yes you should neuter him. He will mellow out a little, but also as he gets older, he will mellow and not be so aggressive and keep up with aggressive playfullness. So don't blame it all on the neutering! Also, you should get him neutered because unless you know a bunch of people willing to raise puppies their whole lives, or unless you are willing to take care of a litter of newborn pups for THEIR whole lives cause he finds himself a "woman" to "do stuff", you'll just end up giving those pups to foster families or adoption societies. We already have enough homeless dogs. So please get him fixed!! thanks for listening, btw. =]

Inkee answered on 3/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nitty

Yes! Definitly have your guy neutered! I have owned male Pit Bull terriers my whole life and trust me- there is no downside to neutering. yes, often it helps decrease aggression. no, it won't make him lazy.

Nitty answered on 3/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't favour castration. It may make him a little more lazy and less aggressive, but probably not
Risks of castration(from en.wikipedia.org )
(a)anesthetic and surgical complications, such as bleeding and infection.
(b)increased risk of obesity.
(c) 2X excess risk to develop osteosarcoma as compared to intact dogs as well as an increased risk of hemangiosarcoma and urinary tract cancer.
(d) increased risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations
(e) neutered dogs have also been known to develop hormone-responsive alopecia (hair loss)
(f) neutered male dogs display a 4X increased incidence of prostate cancer over intact males.[
(g) older neutered male dogs are at higher risk than intact males of developing moderate to severe disorientation in the house or outdoors, changes in social interactions with human family members, loss of house training and changes in sleep/wake cycle.

Luka

If you are willing to learn how to deal with an aggressive dog, all the training, all the issues with insurance, other people's dogs and making sure that he isn't out wandering around, then take him to a dog show and ask some of the other people there with your breed what they think of his potential. Ask judges, who will be as neutral as possible. If you are not looking to pass his looks, good temperament and abilities on to his breed (assuming he's purebred and you have papers) then spay him. The only reason to keep a male dog is if you are improving the breed... and looks are not everything (Paris Hilton, Britney Spears).

The only thing that will help with the "little bit of aggression" he has is proper training. All those males at the dog shows, agility, herding and obedience trials, schutzhund... they are all well trained and still "intact". If you're willing to do the work, then fine, just remember that overfeeding makes a dog lazy... not spaying or neutering. Good luck!

Luka answered on 3/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer