fudge

Should i get a staffordshier bull terrier?

I really like staffies and i am astounded at the amount in rescue centers.I know they have a bad repution but are they all as bad as they seem?i have two children one 7yrs and one 11yrs they both are very exprienced with handling dogs.I have four other dogs as well i go for plenty of walks should i get one and if i did i would get it froma rescue center

Asked by fudge on May 20th 2010 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Brutus

A Staffordshire Bull Terrier would not be ideal for your family. I don't think they are known to "get-along" with children, but some of them can. We do know that they can be protective and should only be in a household if the owner has had expirience with dogs before, especially one's related to the Staffie. These dogs love to play and run, so make sure you have plenty of time to do this. He will also need to be trained and socialized if he has not already. Having other dogs is probably not good if you are getting a Staffie. They have been known for being aggresive around them.I personally think that you should get a more kid-friendly dog. If you are really wanting a Staffordshire, then take the whole family to go see them. If you decide on one that you want, spend time playing him him/her and make sure they are comfortable around your children. www.dogster.com

Brutus answered on 5/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

As a breed, many of these dogs are quite dog aggressive and do not do well living in a multiple dog household. While most are not a problem with people, this tendency to become aggressive with other dogs can be very serious, especially when one of those dogs is a young terrier like Fudge. I would think some of the other breeds common in rescue, such as the hounds or retrievers, might be a better match for your multi dog household.

Isabelle RIP

I rescued a Staffy mix when she was 8 weeks old. She is an amazing dog and great with my 4 month old. I would say get the dog as a puppy, that way it grows up with your dogs and children.
I know some can be dog agressive, mine isn't the least bit. Getting from a puppy might help that. But they can be great dogs with children.

Isabelle RIP answered on 6/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bibi

Staffordshire Bull Terriers originated in England and were known as "nanny" dogs. Finding a pure breed in animal shelters is EXTREMEMLY RARE. If considering a puppy, breeders ask about $1,500 or so. What are in shelters are a mixed gamut of Pitties or American Staffordshire Terriers. They come in all sizes and colors! But, they're beauty and strength is undeniable in chest (white marking) large head and delineation of muscles. This is a breed that attaches itself to its single owner. They will do WHATEVER is asked of them, JUST TO PLEASE its owner! They are the most gentle, loving, and affectionate to their humans. We experience(d) 3 Pitties, they are VELCRO DOGS!!, more than Labs!! But, can be "reactive" to other dogs plus they tend to have a HIGH SMALL PREY DRIVE. Pitties are VERY STRONG AND POWERFUL!!! Make yourself available to personally meet and handle them, ask questions of the handlers, owners, & observe them! THANK YOU FOR CONSIDERING ONE OF MY FAVORITE BREEDS IN THE WORLD.

Bibi answered on 7/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Staffordshire Bull Terriers are GREAT with children. They are also called the "nanny" dogs. They are great with children and very soft and gentle with them. I have yet to see a Staffordshire Bull Terrier not like children, every Staffy I have seen LOVES children.

They can, however, bully around other dogs and can be aggressive and fight with other dogs. I am not saying all of them are like this because that's not true. A lot of Staffy's that I have met and have seen are good with other dogs. All responsible bully breed owners will never leave their dogs unsupervised.

Please, please, please educate yourself on the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and research on the breed! This breed is an amazing breed and does not deserve the ignorance and negativity that it gets. I'm not saying you shouldn't own one, I'm just saying you should educate yourself on the breed and talk with some rescues and Staffy owners about the breed. I just don't want to see another Staffy end up in the wrong hands