fudge

Should i get a Great Dane?

I would really like another dog bigger than a collie.I heard that great danes are lovley.I go for three 20 minnet walks in a weekday and then two hour walks at the weekend.I have a male Jack russell terrier at the moment he is really good with big dogsI also have a cat and two rabbits.I have a 7 yr old son and a 11yr old daghter who will be doing most of the walking.They are both good with dogs should i get a great dane?

Asked by fudge on May 26th 2010 in Great Dane

Answers

Buckeye

Great Danes are one of the tallest breeds. I would not reccomend getting one, only because it could be unsafe for your Jack Russell Terrier. Great Danes can often hurt smaller dogs, although the smaller dog may not hurt the Great Dane. Fudge may not be good with all big dogs. Good luck!

Buckeye answered on 5/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Fudge. You are still a baby & it sounds like you have a full house aleady...dog, cat, rabbits, kids. I would wait awhile & do lots of research on what owning a great dane entails.Get Fudge trained & let the kids take over the walks in preparation for getting another dog. Great Danes are a giant breed & require mega work. I worry with the Marmaduke movie that they will explode in popularity, resulting in folks getting one who don't know how to deal with them. So please research carefully...how much food, vet costs, exercise. temperament, bidability, training, etc. Not saying you should not get one, just be prepared for what it will take! Good luck.

Isy

Great Answer Wiley!!

Keep in mind that Danes are giant puppies until they are almost 3 yrs old! They need all sorts of training and socialization all the way thru to make sure they are sane adults. The bigger the dog the bigger the responsibily. Take care of and love the one you have now.

And just a note, if it was the 2 kids you had planned on walking the Dane, that is a really BAD idea!!! Hum, a 100 lb kid walking a 150 lb puppy... disaster waiting to happen!!!

Isy answered on 5/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Luke

Please please PLEASE do your research before ever considering a Great Dane. And I'm not talking a few google searches either. Get to know other dane owners, learn about their daily lives with their danes. Research the many health issues that come with the breed, the behavioral issues that can be disasterous in a breed so large if not dealt with properly and right away. Under NO circumstances would I put the safety and well being of a dane in the hands of a child. I have an 11 year old son and they are NEVER left alone. There are so many things to consider before getting a dane, and many people just aren't right for them so please take your time and do that research first.

Luke answered on 5/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

McKayla

A Great Dane is not for everyone. You already have a housefull of living beings, why add another?

Great Danes are a large breed of dog that requires space (even though they do tend to lounge)and exercise. Children and dogs should not be left alone together to walk, sit, or do much of anything. They all need supervision. Do NOT push the responsibility of a dog off to young children. If you want to teach them responsibility, give them chores to do that does not involve a living being.

Due to the size of Danes, they are known to have many serious health issues. Have you researched that? It may not be true for every Dane, but the breed itself is known for joint conditions, bloat, cardiomyopathy, and other issues. Large breed dogs tend to live shorter lives due to their size and potential health issues. With all your other animals and children, are you ready for even more vet bills?

You really need to do VERY GOOD research before even considering a Dane!!!!!!!

McKayla answered on 6/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer