should i get a companion for my dog?

Should I get a companion for my 9+ year old beagle/basset mix? He currently has hip dysplacia, so we are doing all we can to make his last years comfortable, as the vet said that he is not a candidate for surgery. We have found a couple of senior dogs up for adoption that are close to his age, and we're wondering if this would help.

Asked by Member 897820 on Oct 6th 2009 in Adoption

Answers

I guess it depends on your dog. If he has always been the only dog, he might get upset with the shared attention. I think dogs are quite content being the only canine and sometimes its for the best. Your dog doesn't need another dog to make him happy in his final years, you are what makes him happy. Love and spoil him everyday, that's all any dog asks for.

I totally agree with the vey first answer.

But, then again maybe a senior you are looking at would be okay, I think it depends on your dog, if they are the only dog, it is very hard for them to accept new dogs.
If you think it is safe, then take your dog to meet them. See if he likes one of them??
It is really up to your dog, if it doesn't go well, then the dog has made your decision for you.

Lucy

I wouldn't get another dog. My brother George was up in years and Mom thought a new companion would make him happy. His brother Little Bear had died and Mom knew he missed him. When you have an older dog, you have the worry of trying to find another dog they'll accept without stressing them. Mom decided that he'd be more accepting of a puppy, especially one that looked like Little Bear. He accepted me, but of course I could not replace his best buddy and I had a little too much energy. Mom is really glad that she lavished so much time and attention on George before I came along. I never really got a chance to be George's real companion, because he died shortly after I arrived. Mom has a little guilt that maybe she did the wrong thing. Perhaps my arrival signaled George it was O.K. to cross the Rainbow Bridge. Naturally, Mom would have preferred he stayed around a little longer. Mom thinks your 9 yr old earned the right to your undivided love. Lavish him!

Lucy answered on 10/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maybe an older dog would be better in your case then getting a puppy. A puppy may just be to much for the older dog to handle in his situation.

That is so super that you would consider adopting a senior dog!
Most shelters will let you bring a dog home for a test drive. Or like someone said, take your boy to meet the dogs you are interested in. See how they get along on neutral territory.
Good luck! Hugs to you!