Should I euthanize my dog-dog aggressive dog?

I got my dog a year ago. She is a yorkie terrier. She came from a man who neglected her the 1st 5 years of her life and ended up getting seized by the ACC. I have worked on training the aggression out of her for the past 6 months, but she is still aggressive towards dogs. She has bitten two dogs who both required medical attention, and me twice. Should I put her down?

Asked by Member 659852 on Jul 23rd 2008 Tagged dogdogaggression, fearaggression, undersocialized, euthanasia in Aggression

Answers

♥Tiffy♥

No you should not put her down. Just as with humans, dogs also have behaviour issues that can be dealt with. Have you considered obedience or behaviour classes? Don't give up on him. He just needs a little extra TLC. It's not his fault!

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 7/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't think dog-dog aggression is a good reason to euthanize. If I thought that, Kolbe would have been dead 2 years ago. Instead we work to improve.

Pick up "Fiesty Fido" by Patricia McConnell and "Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog" by Emma Parsons.

You need to manage her situations, if she can't handle being around dogs right now then you need to not allow her the opportunity, for her safety and the safety of the other dogs. Work on desensitization exercises.

Go to the Groups section on Dogster and look up the group "Dogsters with Aggression Anonymous", you will get a ton of advice for what your first steps should be.

Sunny

If you are not prepared to work with this dog than I would say, yes, put it down. Passing a dog like this along usually just delays the inevitable and causes the dog undo stress along the way.

The dog is most likely afraid of other dogs and has learned that the best offensive is a good defense. I'm not sure how you've been working with the dog but if you don't understand counter conditioning, desensitization, triggers and thresholds then you have lots to learn and could possibly have more success with this dog. They do make muzzles that can be used while the dog learns to feel better around other dogs. Sunny is a fearful dog and has made great progress in the world. His page has more information about working with a scared dog (and I suspect that is why your dog goes after other dogs). Another good book is Click To Calm.

Sunny answered on 7/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

No! My dog is (or was) dog-aggressive, and I'm not puting her down. I'm using positive methods and she's progressing very nicely, thank you.
Take Kolbe's suggestion.