Jessie

Shepherd/Husky Mix with scaly elbows

We have a 7 yr old female shepherd/husky/dobie (short-hair) mix who has rather dry skin. I noticed last night that she has a scaly patch on her right front elbow. It is not inflamed, infected nor does it cause her to bite/chew at it (it's not mange). It's just "there". It's the only place on her body that she has it. I had a friend who used to use Vitamin E oil on her Shepherd's skin. Is this a viable option to lubricate her skin and soften up that crusty patch? Thanks for your help!

Asked by Jessie on Jul 23rd 2010 in Skin Problems

Best Answer

all the shepherds I have had had a small patch on the outer elbow.
if they lay on a hard surface frequently it can appear larger, it is just the weight of dog in the front as they lay on the cement or hard surface. It is like a callus. I wouldn't use an oil to rub on it. It can become soft and then if they bump it it could bleed or become infected.
A shepherds skin should never be overly lubricated. they have a soft inner coat that helps keep them cool and to protect their skin.
As long as the dog is healthy and clean there is no reason to use anything. I have had shep.'s for over 15 yrs.
If your friend uses it I don't know why. Either she is feeding them a corn based food or they have another issue? not sure never heard of that.
I will give my dogs if they don't get enough fat in their diet- pure salmon oil. I only had to do it once this year due to not enough fat and the dry winter inside.

Dieta answered on Jul 24th.

Answers

Sounds like an elbow callous. They usually result from lying on hard surfaces. My GSD has them, and as far as I am aware there is no way of getting rid of them.

When I was at the shelter looking for a dog to adopt, one of the dogs had something that sounds like this. It was a rough patch of skin on her elbow. When we asked the shelter worker about it, they said it was just an elbow callous and it was nothing to worry about. I don't know anything about the oil to put on it, but if you are very worried you should stop by the vet and ask about the skin.

Very common in dogs. I don't know why some dogs have them and some dogs don't. Since you are looking for something to soften it up and keep it from getting super dry, I recommend PETfection Paw Cream. It is an awesome multi-purpose cream that will moisturize and soften. It is 100% Organic and Non Toxic and will last you forever. I love the stuff, and use it on everything! You can check it out at www.myPETfection.com. Hope this helps!