Toby

Service dog question..very confused, would like advice and suggestions

I currently live in HUD housing and have one pet. My doctor has prescribed me a service dog.

I have talked with my landlord and was told that I could not have both dogs in my apartment, even if one was a service dog. I told her that I was under the impression that service dogs were exempt from any pet policies, however she says that she has discretion because in my lease it says only one pet per unit and landlord can modify any clauses. please help with advice on this topic. I am just confused because my therapist told me different. thanks in advance

Asked by Toby on Dec 13th 2012 in Service & Therapy Dogs

Answers

I'm fairly certain your landlord is wrong (I am also a landlord). But I would re-post this in the Service & Therapy Dogs forum (Community --> Forums --> Service & Therapy Dogs) to get some legalese on this.

First, are you talking about a service dog, or emotional support animals? They are two different things, and covered under different laws.

The laws might vary based on where you live as well. Even if they are emotional support animals, you should be able to have them if a doctor orders it. There are a few reasons a landlord can refuse, but they are very specific reasons.

Look up your local Fair Housing Council. They should be the ones who can tell you the laws where you live and what you can do about the situation.

I have a service dog and your landlord is wrong go to www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm I'll check to make sure this is right but it explains things in simple terms. You can have your Doctor write you a letter saying your other dog is a "Companion Dog" which as I understand will allow you to have both dogs. Also go to www.psychdog.org

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

companion dogs, therapy dogs and service dogs are totally different. first, wich one is yours? only a service dog is covered by ada laws. companion and therapy dogs are not. if your dog isn't a service dog your landlord is right. if he is a service dog i believe your landlord is wrong. but that would depend on the laws where you are at.

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 12/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer