Separation Anxiety: Our 7 year old jack russell/beagle mix barks for 2 hours after we leave- out of ideas!!

We adopted this dog 18 months ago and have been dealing with his anxiety ever since. He is currently on Clomicalm which has helped as he is no longer destructive or defecating in the house. Shortly after we adopted the dog, our next door neighbor whom we share a wall with began working from home. Both my husband and I leave before 7 am and the dog wakes him up. The neighbor recently called animal control who suggested a shock collar. We love this dog dearly and have worked with trainers, left food-filled toys, increased his exercise, tried crating, etc. but nothing is working. I do not know what else to do for either the neighbor or the dog. Doggy daycares in the area do not open early enough for us. Please help us, I don't know what else I can do and I do not want to surrender this dog to a shelter, esp not with his anxiety issues!!

Asked by Member 1198743 on Nov 10th 2013 Tagged barking, separationanxiety, pleasehelp in Separation Anxiety

Answers

Find a responsible teen or elderly person in your neighborhood who can play with the dog until the daycare bus comes. There are also dog-walker services that you can use who will do this for you. The point is that you have to BE CREATIVE and make it work!! ^_^