Bruno

Scratching wood floors and tile walls: Should I be worried?

Both my dogs, Bruno and Charlie, tend to scratch the floor and tile walls. Charlie scratches our hard wood floor under our couch and my bed (kind of like digging) and Bruno scratches our bathroom tile walls and it's the only place they scratch; no where else. It actually doesn't bother me and I don't mind since it won't break or leave marks... But I just wondered why they do it and/or how it all started. Is it something I should be worried about? Is it some sort of problem I need to address to a behavioral trainer/veterinarian?

Asked by Bruno on Feb 10th 2010 in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

If the behavior is bad you definately want to resolve the issue at hand right away a simple UT UT, and then if the dog stops the behavior you want to praise him and if possible add a treat or what I do is just say cookie and then walk to the kitchen and get something.
Just correct, reward when the dog stops the behavior. In time he will get it
He will say hey every time I do this she is unhappy. And every time I stop doing this she gives me something great.
Sounds like you also need to incorporate a nice walk after the correction and redirection. He may be bored that is why he is starting this habit.
I think and feel a habit needs to stopped and then replace something for the need to be digging like walking or frisbee work for 20 minutes.
good luck

Dieta answered on Feb 11th.

Answers

How much do you exercise them? They may be trying to occupy themselves. I would get them to stop. You can try a trainer or behaviorist. But I would try more exercise first.

I agree with the previous poster... it sounds like your dogs need more exercise and time spent doing active things.
When I used to manage a humane society, one of the first problems we noticed with dogs who were kenneled long term was that they would incessantly scratch and dig at the floors and the walls. By providing these dogs with lots more exercise and time out of the kennels as well as offering toys that stimulated them more, the digging behavior was greatly reduced and, in some cases, even stopped completely.
It would certainly be worth trying with your two dogs.