Scabs on westies lower stomach.

Four days ago I discovered patches of scabs on the lower half of my westie's stomach. At first I though it was just an area that she had scratched while outside so I let it be thinking it would go away. However It hasn't lessened at all and it appears to have grown slightly since four days ago. Last night while checking it I also discovered a flea, even though I gave her a treatment of front-line plus a few days prior. Could the flea's have caused the scabs/rash?

Additional Info: The front-line plus was purchased at costco for a really good price. Prior to that we had been giving her advantage.

Here are some pictures if it's any help:

1. img193.imageshack.us
2. img848.imageshack.us
3. img31.imageshack.us

Asked by Member 1030588 on Apr 14th 2011 Tagged scabs, rash, westie, fleas, advantage, frontline in Health & Wellness

Answers

LUCY

my guess is its just from flea bites. If you or i got a bug bite and we scratched at it a little to much it would open up and scab over, it may just still be bothering her. Check her over w/ a flea comb(fine toothe comb) and make sure she doesnt still have the fleas as the frontline isnt always %100. My dog had the same scabs on her belly, ears and neck for a couple weeks after her fleas were gone.

LUCY answered on 4/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's most likely caused by the flea, although that first picture looks a bit like ringworm. I would wash her belly well and apply PETfection Hot Spots/Wound Spray to help heal up the areas. It is 100% Organic and Non Toxic and will help reduce inflammation, relieve pain, help with itching, and help block out infection. They also offer a Bug Spray you can use in addition to your Frontline to help prevent future bites/infestations of fleas, ticks, or mosquitoes. Their website is www.myPETfection.com. I hope this helps, best of luck!