Retraining Dog, Spouse - Me

We have a got a good ole' girl (12 people years old)mixed, 14 pounder. I stopped interacting with her because my spouse spoiled her to the point where she was just unattractive to me. She left her presents throughout the yard (front and back), went to and jumped on anyone who came to her, and basically became a person in the house. She was never taught to play with toys or anything. If the spouse isn't there, she just "lays" about. This dog - even for her age - should be more active.
Anyway, we moved out of our house and into an apartment recently, which meant the dog would become more my responsibility. I took it on under the condition that she would be trained to be a "dog" again. To date, she walks on a leash, her food and water are regulated, she goes to the bathroom on a schedule (and when she goes, she goes after eating and does her business within 10 minutes). Her walks are separate from her poo moments, so she does that in the afternoon, And - here's the biggie - She's crated! It took a month or so, but she's doing great, but here's the problem: The moment my spouse comes in, the dog tries to revert to what worked for her previously - whining, fighting the lease, having to be told over and over to go to her crate, etc. I meet the challenge, and I've even convinced my husband that we have to stay on the same page, or else everytime she reverts back to old habits, but she and I are frustrated in having to start over again.
At her age, do you think this is as far as she will go with her new training/lifestyle? Are dogs way smarter than people give them credit for? And is it me, or does this dog know with whom she can get away with stuff?LOL

Asked by Member 1131469 on Sep 19th 2012 in Methods of Training

Answers

It sounds like you've done a great job! Dogs are extremely intelligent. They can understand complex concepts and they DO know how to push buttons.

Why would she sit calmly when she KNOWS whining/barking gets her out just the same?

It just sounds like a case of your husband spoiling her. Maybe the real problem is you need to get him to understand giving her rules and not letting her do those bad things isn't cruel, it's best for everyone.

Believe me, she could -definitely- go farther! Your husband is holding her back by letting her do things she shouldn't. It makes her think 'Hey, I don't actually HAVE to do all that stuff, do I?'

She knows he'll let her get away with it. You're going to have to find a way to really convince him this is the best way.