Rescue dog fearful of husband - barks and has snapped at him

We have had out rescue dog for 8 months. He is very fearful of people including my husband. He barks at him and has snapped at him as well. He is very protective of me. He barks out of protectiveness at times but that's not the only time. He's fine when my husband is laying down but barks at him when he stands up. He'll run towards him barking then run away. He barks at guests as well. He has been great with our other two dogs but recently bit our lab. I want to know what I should be doing to correct his behavior as well as what my husband can/should do to build his trust. Any advice?

Asked by Member 1175302 on Jun 13th 2013 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Take your doggie to a training class where he can learn better socialization skills. Chances are that he was not treated well by a male at some point. My Pookie had the same problem; she didn't like men until she got to really know them, and around middle age her fears subsided, but when she was little she would hide under the bed for a few hours at a time if she saw a male anything. I would have your husband bring her to the class so that they can bond in your absence, and he won't have to feel so protective. Reward him for non-agression towards your hubby at home with a little treat, like Nutro crunchy treats in carrot, which are only 6 calories each. Let your hub be the treat-giver, incentivizing the contact between them. Then your husband can be associated with something fun, instead of fearful, to your barker!! ^_^