Repost from my previous question about color?

Seal is a very weird color of merle. He appears to be part border collie, and his mom is a cattle dog. His litter mates are black and white, black and white with heavy ticking, and blue merle.

His nose and eye rims are black, and he has black and chocolate spots on a light chocolate, silvery coat base color.

At first we figured red merle because of his brown color and chocolate spots, but his nose is not red. We then considered blue merle, but he has chocolate spots on a light chocolate coat.

We have looked at seal and sable merles, but there are not a lot of pictures of them to compare to the puppy.

Asked by Member 840446 on Mar 28th 2010 Tagged dog, bordercollie, color, unknown, merle, seal, blue, red, dilute in Border Collie

Answers

oh.... that is pretty if that is the dog above. Lovely...
You know I had a show rabbit with that same base color. But, the name of it is beyond me right now. Ugg. sorry. I don't see the chocolate so maybe you are referring to another dog.
Which one is it?
Two different breeds kind of form their own unique colors.
I use to have a sweet autralian dog and he was a blue merle leopard. Gorgeous dog.

There are also merle Australian Shepherds, which he looks like one.

List of breeds I know that come in merle:

Australian Shepherd
Border Collie
Smooth Collie
Shetland Sheepdog
Catahoula Leopard Dog
Cardigan Welsh Corgi
Mudi
Dachshund
Pomeranian
Bergamasco
Koolie
Australian Cattle Dog

There are other breeds with merle coats. I think he looks more like an Australian Shepherd. Howard is part Australian Shepherd; he did get shaved, so he doesn't have all that hair anymore.

Australian Shepherd puppies:

www.liashasue.co.za

www.completedogsguide.com

www.completedogsguide.com

Jackie, CGC

If it is Seal you are talking about, he's beautiful. From his pics on his page, he just looks to be merle. I didn't see anything that jumped out as chocolate color. Merle can be very brown at times. It is a color that is classified as "mousy" and can range from very silvery-almost white to charcoal-almost black to brown-almost chocolate. It just depends on the modifiers that he gets with his merle. And yes, many merles have all 3 at the same time. My new harle great dane pup, Jackie, has silver, grey, charcoal, and black patches. (Harle is a variation of Merle) Her merle bro and sis were silver-alomst white with grey, black, and brownish-grey patches. Merle is very unique to each and every merle colored dog. No 2 are the same. If you are curious enuf to have him tested, they can test for merle, red, blue, fawn/sable, and chocolate.

Jackie, CGC answered on 3/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer