Red bald spot on dogs tail!!!

I just saw my dogs tail and there was a red bald spot around the middle a lil to the side. It has been scratching its tail a lot with his mouth and kind of biting it, well thats what it looks like its doing. The spot is about a 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and about 1 inch wide. It got groomed on Saturday so could this be the cause. Also i changed its type of food recently could thid be a cause. He was also pooing watery a couple of days ago. Also i saw a yesterday that he was scratching his tail a lot so i checked his tail and i guess his tail is dry because its hair was falling off. What should i do help plzzz. o0o0o and if this helps my dog is a pug-zu (pug/shih-tzu). Its going to turn 3 years old on january

Asked by Member 663506 on Jul 29th 2008 in Allergies

Answers

In Loving Memory of Panzer

first thing you should do is check to see if th patch of fur missing has red in the middle of the bald spot as apposed to the whole bald patch being red
Second check for any open sores or discharge.
Third, thoroughly check your dog for any other irratated areas or just anything out of the ordinary.
If you find no open sores or anything except the red bald spot then i would reccomend giving you dog a benadryl (half an adult human dose for your size dog). The grooming could very well have caused this irration, it could be a reaction to a product she used or just dry from shampooing.
Wash her in a oatmeal based shampoo to help mositurize her skin.
If a dog's diet is not a smooth transitition then it will upset a dogs stomach or give it diahrea. I would just watch her bowel movements and see if it gets any worse.
all this is info from my vet due to experiences with ive had with panzer
if it spreads or becomes an open wound or you just feel something is wrong then call the vet.

In Loving Memory of Panzer answered on 7/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

your dog probably has a HOT SPOT that came from being irritated by the grooming, your vet can give you medication for that, if left untreated it will get worse and is very uncomfortable.