Recently, my dog has become too scard to come inside and I'm not sure why. Please help!

My 2yo labradoodle Pepper has developed a fear of entering the house. She gets half way in, then backs out and won't come any further. I've tried treats, leaving the door open and ignoring her, putting her bed near the door, moving the furniture, everything! The only way to get her in is to carry her but I don't want to keep doing this. Up until recently she was fine and loved coming inside. Now she just stands there whining with her tail between her legs. I don't know why she is scared or whats happened to cause it! I don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions to help her with her fear?

Asked by Member 1186333 on Aug 19th 2013 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Shasta

My dog had similar problems about going into his kennel run, he simply refused. I too had to carry him in. I never understood it, he just kinda grew out of it. (He was around 1y.o. When it started, grew out of it by 2, now he LOVES kenneling)

It sounds like you're trying very hard and doing the right things. Keep inside a positive experience. If she even THINKS about stepping inside, tell her "good girl", give her a treat, and calmly pet her. You want her to come in not only because SHE wants to, but because she wants to please you. Make the indoors seem more fun than the outdoors....invite a friend over (two or four legged, whichever she'd like more), keep super fun toys and nummy treats inside.

This problem can be very difficult to understand and solve. Wait a month or two then re-think the process, if she's still not better (or getting worse) I'd advise calling a professional trainer. They can assess her and help you understand what's wrong.

Best wishes!

Shasta answered on 9/24/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer