Recent dog food recalls (not a question)

Recently, a member has been claiming that "the common brands" have not had recalls in recent years.
Many big name brands such as Iams, Purina, Pedigree, and Science Diet--as well as other brands such as Ol' Roy and Lassie Natural Way (treats)--were recalled just recently in 2006-2007. This was all over the news for months during said recall. My pastor's little Doxie, Sunshine, almost died from a bag of tainted Ol' Roy. Many other pets experienced deaths and illness from these recalls.
Pedigree was recalled recently as well in around early-mid 2008. This, as well at the 2006 recall, can be looked up in several places on the internet, including the Dog Blog.
Just thought I'd clear that up. Just about all brands have had recalls at some point, and thus cannot always be used against a brand, depending upon the severity of the recall. In the case of the 2006 recall, most--if not all--of the recalled brands were manufactered in the same factory.

Asked by Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011) on Jun 18th 2009 Tagged food, recalls, information in Pet Food Recalls

Best Answer

This is an excellent post, Cookies. (May I call you Cookies? BOL!)

It's really scary how much misinformation is out there about recalls, but I also totally agree with Abby that a great way to find out a LOT of in-depth information about which companies have had recalls (and also which companies OWN other companies that have had recalls) is to get on google and check it out that way.

I also agree that, as you said, not all recalls are the same. Some recalls can be pacakaging related or based on somethign less dangerous than others. The key is to keep checking recall lists in case you don't get informed or something happens that the media doesn't report.

Nice post!

Jack answered on Jun 18th.

Answers

It is very easy to Google "pet food recall" and find lists of products that have been recalled, both on the FDA website and on companies' individual websites.

Many, if not most, of the commercial brands have had recalls, including Purina, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Nutro, Iams, The Goodlife Recipe, Natural Balance, and Royal Canin.

I don't know of any Premium food brands, such as Wellness, Timberwolf Organics, Nature's Variety, and Taste of the Wild that have been recalled ...

Maybe if I am more moderate my post with the truth won't be deleted this time.

The truth is, most of the brands of canned and semimoist foods were recalled including most of the common and premium brands. While none of the Iams, Pro Plan, Science Diet, Purina, or Purina 1 dry kibbles were recalled, some of the premium ones were.

Very good points Cookie, Jack, and Abby. Understanding the reason for the recall as mentioned is a good point.

The truth wasn't deleted in your post. Hills has had recalls, Iams and Purina has as well. However since they were the canned varieties it should be over looked or isn't that big of a deal? While some of the premium brands were recalled it wasn't most or all as it was with the cheaper brands. There were still many if not most of the premium brands who were not recalled.
Natura
Nature's Logic
Nature's Variety
Sojo's
The Honest Kitchen
Ziwi Peak
To name a few.

I believe in 2004 Diamond dogfood killed dogs across america as well. There was some money awarded to some families.
Purina had recalls, Eukanuba, ect.