Purebred Boxer "heart attack"?

My Wife's parents live in Mexico for a work tour of duty. When they arrived back to Guadalajara after visiting the states last week, they were told my wife's dog (who lives with her parents now) died from a heart attack. Brinkley, the dog was 4 years old and a purebred boxer. They apparently had an x-ray showing the enlarged heart and had already cremated her. Brinkley had regular check ups and we were always told she had a strong heart. She ran and played hard without issue for years. I know purebreds are worth alot of money, and there is chance for corruption, Can you tell me if there some chance that things aren't as they seem here or if this is a plausible story? My wife and I are devastated...

Asked by Member 946210 on Feb 1st 2010 Tagged boxer, purebreed, death, dead, stolen in Loss of a Pet

Answers

Daisy

It could be. I know thats one of boxers main health concern is with the heart. My sisters show dog had to go through lots of tests to make sure her heart was good so she could pass these tests for breeding. One I know even included a treadmill. I also know of a breeder that also showed her boxers and she had one 6 or 7 that died this way to. So sorry to hear of this shocking loss.

Daisy answered on 2/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sadly, this is a common cause of death in boxers. The symptoms start quite suddenly and most times the owner nor their vet is not aware of any problem. This is a good example of why it is soo important when buying any puppy to make you find out all hereditary conditions that breed is subject to, and make sure you receive certification that the dog's parents have been tested and found clear of these problems. These tests must be performed by veterinarians certified in that particular area, as a canine cardiologist for certifying boxer hearts. I am sorry for your in-laws loss, but this is something that happens to boxers often and does not indicate any corruption was done.

Charlie

I had the same thing happen to me. I had a purebred female boxer and when she was 6 she died of a heart attack. Our vet told us that it is fairly common among the breed. And as with your story, our vet also had told us on her regular check ups that she was healthy and had a strong heart. I am very sorry for your loss

Charlie answered on 2/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Seth

I lost my first show dog with an enlarged heart. it is very hard for them to find this because they dont show alot of signs. Mine was running through the woods after deer a month before he passed. so yes this could be true. But i am very sorry to hear about your loss. I know how hard that can be.

Seth answered on 2/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer