Puppy vs. Christmas tree...

I have a new puppy and this will be our first Christmas and I'm pretty sure he will try to chew everything on it. Of course I'll put the ornaments a little higher then usual, but I didn't know if there was something I could put around the tree to block him from it. Any ideas?

Asked by Member 905270 on Nov 2nd 2009 in Health & Safety

Answers

Kitana

is there anyway to put up a baby gate so he can't enter the room that it is in all together? If he chews through the wires for the lights it will seriously hurt him or start a fire I would just try to keep him out all together.

Kitana answered on 11/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Junior

Thats a good question, good thing you thought about that! Instead of putting something around it wouldn't it help to raise your tree off the ground so that the pooch can't reach it? Bitter apple spray might help too!

Junior answered on 11/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

We put the tree in the living room, gated off from the puppy. They are only allowed in the living room under careful supervision.

If keeping the puppy out of the room with the tree won't work, you could try an X-pen. When our son was little, we put the tree in the play pen.

Puppies should be supervised at all times. She or he should be crated while alone, leashed while you are around. Time to teach the "leave it" command. You will really mean it when you fear for the dogs safety! Baby gates might deter him - unless he's that curious kind that looks to defeat all confinement. (Hogan's Heros/The Great Escape!) If he's leashed it's easy to give a sharp leash correction if he goes near the tree. Put the tree up for a few days without trimming to get the dog used to it without risking fragile ornaments.

OH MY G**.
I'M IN THE SAME BOAT. It's been 10 years since I had to teach a pup not to touch the tree. And Pepper is a NUT.
Uh.....I have an indoor unit for the invisable fence. It's going under the tree....
Good luck. We're both gonna need it.

AAAAAAAGH!

Even though my dogs are mostly older I always put an expen around my tree. While they don't grab the ornaments anymore, they can run into it when they get the zoomies. I came in one day to find the tree on the floor and a labrador standing with the light wires wrapped around her. It WAS unplugged and she was smart enough to stand and wait for me, but having it fenced in is way safer!

Ty

We went with a smaller tree. And put it up so the dog could not get to it. Also we didnt put the presents under the tree until a couple of days before Xmas when people were home to keep an eye on the puppy. We also put a rug over the cords to the outlet so the puppy could not get it. But the best thing is to put the tree in a room and keep the puppy out. Best of luck with the puppy.

Ty answered on 11/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer