Bear

Puppy vaccines?

The lady I got my puppy from gave him vaccines from a tractor supply company, is distemper included in these?

Asked by Bear on May 4th 2010 in Vaccinations

Answers

Likely, but even if not, it may not have done much good. Rather than try to explain it myself, I am giving you a link www.avma.org It is specific to parvo, but everything works the same. The easiest thing is to give a series of shots hoping one will be effective before the puppy is exposed to anything.

The period between 6-12 weeks is a dangerous time. One sniff where a sick dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can bring on parvo or another life threatening disease. Fail to expose it to strangers, including men, women, children, noise, etc. and you could end up with a misfit you can't take out in public. They also need continuing contact with other dogs, but it must be limited to ones you know are getting good care. See www.apdt.com

She still should have given you the paperwork from the vaccine, stating the brand and type she gave, as well as the date she gave it on. Normally distemper and parvo are both important parts of that vaccine. Others might also be included. Check and find out for sure what he had so your vet knows what to give him for his next one.
You are aware that puppies need a series of vaccinations, right? If he had one at 8 weeks, he will need another at 11-12 weeks and a final one at 14- 16 weeks, at which time he will receive his rabies, This series is very important since at some point during the series, normally around 10 or 11 weeks, the protection he got from his mother will wear off and until this happens, the vaccines you give him will do no good. You need to be very careful where he goes... don't let him play with pups or dogs that are not vaccinated, and don't let him walk in areas where lots of strange dogs frequent, until he has had at least the second vaccine at 12 weeks.

I think you should take the dog to a vet.
I did that years ago bought the shot at the tractor store and my dog got terribly sick.
So to be safe I would take the dog to the vet.
I think those shots are for adult dogs.
If your baby is still a baby then the shot will not be right dosage for him.
take care and set up your puppy shots at a vet's office. :)