Dukey-Pookie

Puppy Shivering?

Our Lab puppy Duke has been shivering like crazy even though he has a thick coat. Duke is an outdoor dog and he has'nt done this ever? Should I be concerned about this? He's been used to the cold but just recently he has started doing this behavior

Asked by Dukey-Pookie on Feb 2nd 2013 in Puppies

Answers

Colt

Dogs can shiver for a bunch of reasons (excitement, fear, poisoning, etc.) but since he's outside in the cold, my guess is just he's just cold. Of course, keep an eye on him for other symptoms of poisoning, or sources of fear or excitement in the yard. He also might have gotten wet somehow. I can't explain why he's just now starting to shake but I still think it's a good sign that he's not comfortable.

Anyway, keep him warm. Keep him indoors as much as you can, especially at night. Look into buying a heated dog house. It may sound silly, but think about getting him an insulated doggie jacket. Puppies often don't tolerate cold as well as older dogs, so it's a good idea to make sure he's extra comfortable.

Colt answered on 2/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Make sure he's in a four-sided structure that is turned against the wind. If his doghouse isn't heated, the best bedding is straw. Blankets get cold and wet and then freeze without insulating. Straw is also easily changed out and it's inexpensive. I agree with the idea of an insulated jacket, even though he's a double-coated dog. He needs more food and water in cold weather because his body is working hard to keep itself warm. I don't know where you live, but it's COLD where I am in the Midwest. I don't believe in "outside dogs," but if you choose to keep Duke outside, you should consider additional measures to keep him warm when it is especially cold. This could be a heated garage or pole barn, but ideally you would bring him inside. If the additional warmth arrangements don't work, he needs to see a vet. Best of luck!