Lilly

puppy rash on tummy and leg/arm pits

My poor little Lilly. She will be 3 months tomorrow. Over the past about 5 days she has developed a rash on her tummy. It goes across her whole belly and is all red with little red spots and is particularly bad where her belly meets her arms and legs. Some days it has been worse then others because there were times when we thought it was going away but has yet to do so. We have not changed her diet which consists of authority large breed puppy food - bully sticks and bones. She does go out into the grass every day and her and her sister play all the time - the rash has not affected her eating, drinking, or personality in any way. We did take her to the vet the other day for another reason in which she needed an antibiotic, the vet gave us the option to do a skin scraping but he didn't make it seem like it was anything serious so we did not do it because we were already spending quite a bit that day. I have been giving her half a benedryl which he recommended to help her itchiness but I haven't noticed it helping much. I would like some suggestions as to what this could be and how to treat it, We are going on a last minute road trip this afternoon and I want to be prepared and want to be able to do whats best for princess Lillian.

Asked by Lilly on Jul 1st 2011 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Gia

I would ask your vet, it could just be an allergic reaction to something :) P.S Is she A Pit Bull Terrier? She's ADORABLE!

Gia answered on 7/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Molly

My dog has horrible skin allergies.She used to get a rash under her arms and on her belly. I wound up trying different types of food until I found one that did not have grain in it. This cleared up her stomach and arms. Right now I am using canadea grain free food. If I change this or if she eats treats that are not grain free it causes her to break out again. She will also break out if she lays in the sand when it is hot out but not nearly as bad. I hope this helps

Molly answered on 7/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Douglas

If the puppy in question is the mostly white puppy in the picture, I would recommend taking her to the vet. White dogs have a tendency to develop skin problems for some reason. My mom's cousin has a solid white boxer that has skin problems, it causes a rash similar to the one you have described. It doesn't affect her health, but does make her itch quite a bit.

Douglas answered on 7/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petri

I recommend using PETfection Deodorizer/Allergy Spray. It is 100% Organic, Non Toxic, and is amazing at helping with itchy spots/dry skin/bumps/etc. I use it for everything! You can spray it directly onto the tummy area and anywhere else that is red or irritated from scratching or is dry and flaky. Check it out at www.myPETfection.com. I think it is great!!

Petri answered on 7/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer