Puppy jealousy: 10 month old male Aussie, 6 mo female lab mix

I have a 10 month male Aussie that we brought home when he was 3 mo. Last month we rescued a female lab mix who is now 6 mo. At first, the aussie was so excited and couldn't get enough of her. Then he began instigating sparing (I believe that's what it's called). He mainly would go for her neck, which I understand to be a dominance thing. When the mix would have enough, she would hide, that even though the aussie could get to he would let her be. She is also an instigator and will often nip at him- she mainly goes for his legs and will growl at him for attention.

This past week we have noticed the aussie have more aggression to our mix. Now he's going into her safe-space instead of leaving her alone, he's biting her ear and dragging her around the yard, and he's started to hump her!

I don't understand where this aggression is coming from. From what I notice, we do let the aussie do things/get things first. And he definitely gets attention!

Any suggestions are welcome!!!!

Asked by Member 1140978 on Nov 16th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Koby

Pups go through stages, just like kids. It sounds to me like you need to set boundaries for both dogs, what they can and can't do. Koby tries to "Boss" Kali around, but we step in and distract him with something else. Good Luck!

Koby answered on 11/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer