Coco

Puppy is always hungry

I've a 11 week old german shepherd puppy. Me and my husband both work. I come every 2-3 hours to feed and play with her. She doesnt listen to me or my husband at all. She is always hungry. We feed her 4 times a day. She weighs as per her height and she is dewormed. She always tries to get inside the kitchen and looks for food or scratches the fridge. If we stop her to get inside the kitchen then she tries to eat the dry wall or starts scratching the wooden stuff with her teeth. I play with her a lot but everytime we are not giving her attention, she tries to do something mischievious. Only time, she is quite when we go to bed and she sleeps with us on our bed. She has her kong ball and rope. Not sure what else I give her to play as Vet suggested not to give her chew bones untill she is 3 months. Is this some teething problem or separation anxiety? Please help!!!

Asked by Coco on Feb 20th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Callie (Calliope)

While my puppy wasn't a big eater to start her litter mate couldn't get enough to eat. If you aren't concerned with her being overweight I wouldn't be too concerned. My dog will scratch the fridge, stove and dishwasher when she's still hungry. I figure better to give another 1/2 cup of food instead of treats. We found playing with her and walking wasn't enough. Playing with other dogs wears her out. You might want to try day care or a play group to get some energy out. Nylabone makes some good puppy chew toys including some that are edible specifically for puppies.

Callie (Calliope) answered on 2/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer