Bear

Puppy has become very aggressive over the last week?

I'm 10 months old now and I've been with my mommy since I was 6 weeks old. I've always been a nice puppy, a little anxious sometimes but never had any problems with aggression. But in the last week or so, I've been getting very bitey with my mommy and the other dogs. My mommy even has to feed me outside because I would get very anxious and growl at the other dogs if they came near my food. I've always liked playing keep-away, but over the last couple days I get very aggressive whenever the object is taken from me. The other day when I was playing with my brother, I snapped at him so bad my mommy had to put me in another room until I calmed down. This is all happening very quickly and my mommy is starting to worry it might be a sign of a bigger problem. There are no trainers in our area, and my mommy's mommy is threatening to get rid of me if I can't control my aggression. My mommy really loves me and wants to help me, she just doesn't understand what the problem is. Can you help her?

Asked by Bear on Feb 19th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Sudden change in behavior can be a sign of a medical problem, so going to the vet may be a good idea.

Part of that is resource guarding and I recommend the book "MINE" for dealing with such issues, also www.dogstardaily.com has a good article on it.

I agree that a vet visit would be a good idea to rule out anything medical.