Toby

puppy got neutered yesterday and he is flipping out

My puppy was neutered yesterday and I had expected him to be a little groggy after surgery. Was I wrong! He is even more energetic than ever and I am having trouble with him moving around too much. The vet said to keep him in his crate as much as I could with his e collar on. He doesn't mind the collar too bad, but he thrashes around when he is in his kennel and cries constantly. He does have pain medication so I it isn't that he is hurting. We were up half the night. I don't know what to do. I am worried he will disturb his incision with all the moving he does and he hardly will stay still. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Asked by Toby on Jul 19th 2012 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Koby

Do you have any toys like Kongs or a treat dispenser you can give him. Try filling up a Kong with peanut butter (if he can tolerate it with out getting sick) and freeze it. It will take him a long time to eat the frozen peanut butter. You can also wet his kibble and stuff the kong with it and freeze it. You can also get him treat puzzles. They keep him mind busy. You can also hide treats in your house and have him find them. Koby slows down and concentrates on finding the treats when he is full of it. Good Luck with him.

Koby answered on 7/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kazba

I had a dog fet fixed years ago, and he was running up and down the steps that nite. We had to bring him in and just kept him calm, we did not play with him, everyone stayed clam so he was calm. And he lived to an old age of 17 so it did not seem to bug him much. Some just handle the surgery better then others. Just do your best to keep him calm, take him out on a leash, and he should be fine in a couple of days.

Kazba answered on 7/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer