Pup-Peroni dog treats

I gave my dog Pup-peroni dog treats and she came up lame on her front leg and the leg swelled up terribly, all the way up to the "underarm" with a swollen gland at the underarm. I thought it was Valley Fever. When I re-traced her food, I remembered the only thing different was the Pup-Peroni dog treat. Since I stopped giving them to her, the swelling has begun to go down and the limp is not nearly as bad. It is as if she has gout. Can dogs get gout? I have a Vet appointment for her just in case, but I bet it is gout. Anyone else have this experience with Pup-Peroni treats. My male dog had no reaction at all.

Asked by Member 846030 on Jun 14th 2009 Tagged treats, swelled, lame, leggout in Treats

Answers

I would definitely take her to the vet, even if she appears to be improving. This could be any number of things, but it probably isn't related to the Pup-peroni treats, in my opinion.

Here's why: if a dog has a reaction or sensitivity to a food, the more likely symptoms would be something like systemic swelling, or localized swelling near the throat or mouth. Also, there would be other gastric issues, more than likely.

I think something else happened to that leg that isn't as obvious and it's probably a coincidence that the new treat was given to her that same day.

She could have stepped on a bee, had a virus that caused some lymphatic swelling or even have gotten a foxtail.

Limping would be highly uncharacteristic of a food reaction.

I'd definitely get her checked out. As for the Pup-peroni, I'd stop giving it to either dog, it's really not the greatest quality.

Good luck, hope she's all better very soon!

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red

We give Puperoni to ours everyday. We dont have any problems. It does kind of sound like a bee sting or some bug bite. Good luck.

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red answered on 6/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zuma

Oh No! Take Her To The Vet asap! But, Pup-Peroni treats Are Really bad For Dogs! Its a chain-food for dogs!

Vet and don't feed them that. Good Luck!

Zuma answered on 6/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chocolate

I don't give my dog pup-peroni,beggin strips,and similar stuff because of all the junk they throw in there. I stick to chicken and all natural dog buiscuts, it's much healthier. I do however I seriously doubt it was the cause of the swollen leg.

Chocolate answered on 7/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer