Possessive dog - she'll bite/attack if you try to take something away.

I am asking this to help a friend of mine. She has a beagle who becomes very aggressive when you attempt to take something from her. I have been bitten by this dog, another person she knows has been bitten, and now last night she was attacked when trying to take her young daughter's toy away from this dog. Her small children know not to attempt to take anything from the dog because of this aggressiveness. She knows now that she cannot keep this dog, as she is too dangerous - but she doesn't know what to do. I told her I would help find the best option. Bailey (the dog) is in extensive need of behavioral training. Any suggestions or any one know of a good behavioral boot-camp for dogs? They love this dog very much, but they know how dangerous she can be. Generally, Bailey is very nice and playful. She is in need of some obedience, but it's that dangerous aggression that comes out when you try to take something from her... or even approach her if she has something.

Asked by Member 1003982 on Sep 12th 2010 Tagged agression, biting, behavior in Behavior & Training

Answers

This might not be what you want to hear...It is extremely difficult to re-home a known biter. Most breed specific rescues will not take her & neither will most humane/spca shelters. Resource guarding to this extent is not easily fixed, and as you said...needs extensive behavioral work. You can try to work on a strong leave it cue, drop it, or a trade up cue. You don't say how old she is, but if she is an adult, her future seems pretty bleak.

With or without any obedience, the dog will still resource guard her toys or her belongings. Some dogs are just like that, they find it offensive for us to take away things that they feel are important. You will need to either not give her toys to chew on or do the switch game each and every time. That's tempting her with another valued object and taking the one she has away. This dog also needs a routine. Make a list of when she is to be walked which should be 3-4 x a day and the dog need to have something to do beside resource guard toys. Many dogs have this issue, it doesn't mean we shouldn't do something. We should. After doing the switch game and working with her she should get better. Enlist her into a class that can help train her for something, obedience, field hunting, agility ect... it can only benefit the dog and owner :)

Sig

My dog tried acting this way towards tasty chew bones. I nipped it in the bud when he was about 4 months old and he's been fine since. The method that helped me was teaching my dog the "Drop it." and "Leave it" command. When he was holding a toy I would hover a treat over his nose and say, "Drop it." As soon as the toy it the floor he was rewarded. I practiced over and over and he learned that most the time he gets his toys back. I taught him leave it by sitting a toy on the floor and when he'd go for it i'd gently block him saying, "Leave it." When he'd wait for a moment on his own i'd give him his toy as a reward praising. I'd suggest getting a trainer to help you with techniques though. I think the dog is very fixable! good luck!

Sig answered on 9/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer