Nuka-Cola

Poorly bred purebred, or mixed breed?

Hello evFURRYbody!
We just rescued Nuka from the shelter, and she has been with us for about a week now. The shelter labeled her as a Black Lab mix but after having her here, I honestly can't see any other breed in her looks or personality. I don't have the best pics of her in the world because she was afraid of the camera, (Her eyes and a few other features look a little different and more lab-like in person) which I am working on, but what do you guys think? She is almost all black and has the thick fur of a lab. (She only has a small white diamond on her chest, and a thin white line that runs from her chin down the center of her throat.) She also has the eye size/shape and color of a black lab. Really the only thing that looks a bit off is her ears.
Based on that, what would you say? Poorly bred (BYB) Black Lab, or a mix?

Asked by Nuka-Cola on Jul 15th 2011 Tagged lab, mix, mutt, purebred in Labrador Retriever

Answers

Molly Doll ( In Loving Memory)

Hi there
If she had a white diamond shape on her chest then shes a mix breed,a black lab is purely black,they also have very flat ears. Sadly I can't tell by the picture but by what you have said and I have had Labradors all my life and bred them shes a x breed.
Hope that clarifys things a little
Rachel

Molly Doll ( In Loving Memory) answered on 7/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sorry, but I have raised and shown Labradors for over forty years and had MANY champions during that time. While white is not desired, it CAN and DOES show up on purebred labs and actually happens fairly often. The breed standard DOES ALLOW a white spot patch on the chest, but white on the face, feet and even on the tail can and does show up in purebred labs, EVEN those from champion parents.
And, ear carriage is also variable in the lab with many of them have high earsets which will often cause the ear to fold and actually stick out rather than lie flat against the skull. Again, this is not desired, but it can and does happen even in the best breedings.
Neither of these faults mean your dog is NOT purebred, but it does not mean she is, either.
It is hard to determine from your pictures, without seeing some of her standing and some full body shots, but she looks pretty labby to my eye.

Cody

I agree with Toto. Here is a link to a page with pictures of some common mismarks in purebred labs:

www.woodhavenlabs.com

It doesn't confirm that your dog is purebred, but your dog isn't necessarily a mixed breed just because it is not solid black.

There are several experienced lab breeders on this site, if you can get some full-body shots (from the side) of the dog standing, they might be able to tell you more.

Cody answered on 7/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer