PLEASE HELP: Need A Wisconsin Husky Expert Behaviorist

Recently got our 2yr old Sibe & found he has a horrible aggression towards anything he gets his hands on. Former owners had no problems. We can put our hands around his food or bones but when he gets something he's not suppose to, he growls loudly as he lunges forward to grab anything he can bite of yours.
In the past week he has punctured my palm and recntly bit my arm after telling him no and reaching for a straw he had been shredding. Dominance is key factor I think. Regular obedience has yet to do anything for him. He attends the daycare I work at and goes for hr long dog park runs 5-6 days of the week. Exercise I've read shouldnt be an excuse.
Need to find a behavioralist who is VERY knowledgeable about huskies to fix this issue or he's getting rehomeed, as I never have and refuse to own an aggressive dog.
PLEASE HELP!

Asked by Member 1146536 on Dec 25th 2012 Tagged dominance, aggression, yearold, husky, siberianhusky, territory, biting, growling, correcting in Aggression

Answers

Wow, I am sorry you are having such trouble with his resource guarding. I do not know of a behaviorist around you. I don't think dominance is really the key here. www.youtube.com

Have you tried trading him something even better? Example: a toy he loves or a tasty treat. I would suggest the book "MINE" by Jean Donaldson.

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

i would have to agree with obi. he is a jedi after all. lol. there are lots of fairly decent videos on resource guarding on you tube. idk for sure about the book obi mentioned. huskies and the other northern breeds do keep life interesting. trading for a special toy for the object also works well. try using a treat ball with some treats or peanut butter in it. he should learn quick that if he drops something on command he gets an awesome treat. good luck

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 12/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Vinnie

The fact is, once a dog bites the hand that feeds it, it will always believe it is more powerful and will always be dangerous towards that person.

Vinnie answered on 12/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Obi. This is called resource guarding and it can be worked on. They had good suggestions on where to start. I totally disagree with Vinnie -- no behaviorist would agree with that either.

This is a very fixable behaviour and yes you are right -it is a dominant behaviour he is exhibiting.

When my Siberian was 9 weeks old he had the EXACT same issue with his resource guarding. On top of that he had food aggression.

I spoke with serval behaviourists who all assured me this a dominance issue I was having. I had NEVER experienced this with any of my previous Siberians so it was very new to me.

After 6 weeks of obedience training I noticed a HUGE improvement. .
I did extensive training with "drop it" and "leave it" commands. It took about 2 months until he would fully leave something that he knew he was not allowed to have. Occasionally he will still growl but allows me to take what he has away.

Your guy is older and it may take a little more work but it is something that with work can be fixed!

Good luck! :)