Azura

Places that tattoo dogs in Florida

I'm looking for possible local places here in north Florida to get a dog tattooed. A collar can be taken off and a microchip can't be checked unless at a vet office or shelter. I've seen a dog that got tattooed in the inner thigh and has never had any identification problems with it. My dog has been lost once and I found her out of pure luck since no one checked for a microchip or called the numbers on her tag. I found her tied in a yard about 10 miles away about 2 weeks after she went missing. I want something that can not be taken off. Please if anyone out there knows of a place near me or even in south georgia.

Asked by Azura on Aug 4th 2009 in I.D. Tags & Microchips

Answers

Many SPCAs tattoo their animals upon intake or upon neutering, maybe you could call your local SPCA to see if they do it and if they could point you in the right direction.

Girl

Dude, Thats a weird question to ask and your gonna get some majior negitave feed back on that one.
Although it would be a great way to idedntify your dog.
Some will veiw it as Crulity 2 Animals.
Some would see it as a new trend.
Either way it's out there.
All I can say is I would never but thats you man.

Girl answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't think it is a weird question at all. Dogs are very commonly tattooed for identification purposes, both by breeders and their owners.

Breeders usually tattoo dogs when they are only a few days old, using either their breed club's tattoo scheme or their kennel's tattoo scheme, as there is no "standard" tattoo scheme or central registry for dogs' tattoos in the United States.

Working dogs are usually tattooed once they are accepted into a working program, and their tattoos are done under anesthesia at the veterinarian that handles the K-9 unit's other health needs. You may want to try contacting vet clinics in your area to see whether any offer tattooing or whether they can recommend someone who does.

The big issue with tattoos is that they are not a reliable way of identifying a dog. There is NO central registry for dog tattoos in the US, and most people who find a tattooed dog would not know where to go or whom to call. Unless you tattoo the dog with your phone number ...