Bandit

Petco & Petsmart Dog Training

I was looking into training for Bandit. I would like for him to be able to pass the AKC Good Citizen test. With that being said, I was wondering if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with Petco or Petsmart (in-store) dog training.

I'm trying to narrow it down between Petco, Petsmart and a local training facility that teaches Obedience, Agility, and also has a class for the Good Citizen.

Either way I go it will come out costing about the same. The complete Dog package at Petco is $299.00 and Petsmart is in that range as well. Just wondering how good the trainers are in these pet stores and if you get your moneys worth.

Asked by Bandit on Apr 9th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

I have heard good & bad about both Petco & Petsmart training. I recommend sitting in on a class without your dog, first. If they do not let you do this, I would not take the class. Ask what methods they use. Are they "force free", "purely positive", "compulsion", "balanced"? These are all buzzwords in the training field today.
Personally, I would look into the local facility. Are the trainers certified through the APDT? How long have they been training? Can you speak to previous clients? What sort of discipline do they use? Do they use all the quadrants of training, or just one or two? How do they deal with reactive or aggressive dogs?
Most importantly is YOUR view on training. Will you be comfortable using the methods at home? Classes give you the knowledge; you need to carry it out. If something makes you squeamish, it is not for you.
But...Yay! for wanting to take classes. It truly helps solidify your bond with Bandit!

answered on Apr 10th.

There Are No Other Answers