Pet smart grooming??

I want to take my dogs to petsmart for a bath and nail trim will I have to leave them?? Has any one on here used petsmart before??

Asked by Member 758309 on Aug 19th 2010 Tagged petsmartgrooming in Professional Grooming

Answers

Luna

well, I can tell you I had a horrible experience there which cost me $1,000 in ER bills for my cocapoo. Best guess by the vet was either the blower was too hot or they restrained my baby incorrectly. Never again !! now I only take my 3 dogs to local businesses. If you want more info, I will be happy to share with you , just become Luna's friend and I can give you the details .

Luna answered on 8/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Shiloh

I have had good luck with Petsmart. I do have to leave them. But I stay pretty close so I can watch what is going on just to feel comfortable.

Shiloh answered on 8/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Belle

I wouldn't EVER take my dogs to petsmart. Due to one of my friends dogs being whipped around on the table, and hit a few times. Local places are better I beleive.

Belle answered on 8/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Buckeye

I love PetSmart grooming. I know this because I can tell from my dog's eagerness to go. One of the privately owned buisnesses I went to must have hurt my dog.. he was completely terrified to go back in. Another buisness was odd. Every time we took my dog there, he became ill with something afterwards. Ear infections, eye infections, itchiness. That happened quite a bit. We tried PetSmart and adored it! Yes, you do have to leave your dog. Normally, it takes my Wheaten about 3-4 hours for a full grooming. He looks great afterwards, and he is always happy to go in to PetSmart. I always see the groomers working on the dogs, and they seem gentle and nice when they are grooming. I guess it depends on the employess and the manager of the grooming section at PetSmart. I would try it out, maybe stay in or near the store if you feel better about leaving your dogs there. We reccomened PetSmart, and love it, but its completely up to you whether you'd like to go there or not. Good luck!

Buckeye answered on 8/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

First off yes you will have to leave the dog more then likely no matter where you go. As far as can they be trusted, I guess it depends on the person working there, I have no problem with the people at my local petsmart. I think they are very careful and do a nice job with the dog. I am sure there are some petsmarts that have bad people waoking at them. Just like there are local people who are bad. There was a locl person around here that had a dog died because her idea of how to treat a problem dog was to choke them. I guess the best thing would be to check with other people around your town and see who they trust the most.

There are 2 groomers in my area with large enough tables and tubs to groom Deogie, 1 is a locally owned business and the other is Petsmart. I choose Petsmart hands down. I took Deogie to the locally owned a few times, they did a great job but after a few visits you would think they would know his NAME. If you can't take the time to remember my dogs name, then it's time to move on.
Petsmart took the time to get to know Deogie and myself. His groomer will come out from behind the counter, greet Deogie and love him up like no tomorrow. She knows his likes/dislikes and treats him like a king, just the way he should be treated.
When choosing a groomer, ask a lot of questions. One day go in before you make an appointment and watch how they treat the dogs there. If you see someone you think is treating the dog extra special, book an appointment with them. I stayed in the store the first time, not in the grooming area but I peeked in when I felt the need. :o)

Cody

I have not, because my dogs don't need professional grooming. But it really depends on the individual store, their management, and the staff. Some are really great, and some are horrible. I would visit the store and see how the treat the dogs - many Petsmarts have a window where you can watch the grooming. Meet the groomers and ask questions. You might also find other dog owners in your area and see what groomers they use.

Cody answered on 8/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Teddy

My dogs aren't professionally groomed, but my pit/lab goes to petsmart to have his winter coat brushed out. If I let them do it really good at first, I can manage it througout the rest of the season. I choose petsmart, even though I will never use the vet clinic again.

I use them because I can watch through the window. I call for an appointment, and make sure I have time to wait. I get to see how they handle the other dogs, and I can keep Teddy with me until they are ready for him.

If I take him to a groomer and have to leave, I worry. You just never know what kind of psycho gets off on hurting dogs.

So, as long as I can wait and watch, I will continue to use petsmart for this purpose.

Teddy answered on 8/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kinley

Petsmart is where i always go to get my chiweenie clean! they've always been super nice and has never hurt my dog! it only takes an hour or two

Kinley answered on 9/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Fisook

We are a privately operated mobile pet grooming business in Los Angeles. Your dog’s trust you to make the best decision that you can for him or her. Obviously you will do the best that you can to choose a great groomer. If you need a few tips on what to look for when choosing a groomer, please visit our website and read our recommendations! www.aromatherapypetgrooming.com

Fisook answered on 9/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer