Sophie

Pee pad, or not to pee pad?

I am getting a yorkipoo on Tuesday and have taken off work the week to help her. She has already started and been successful crate/housetraining with her breeder. I am wondering, when I leave her (I am a school teacher, so 7:15 to 3:30 or 4:00) should I leave her in her crate, in a bathroom with pee pads/food/water, or in a bigger crate with a pee pad? I have heard mixed reviews and would love ANY help. THANKS!

Asked by Sophie on Mar 22nd 2008 Tagged peepads, housetraining, cratetraining in Crate Training

Best Answer

You didn't mention how old your puppy (dog?) will be when you bring her home, and that makes a big difference. If she's a very young puppy, training her to use the pads temporarily will be a necessary evil, even if you hope to train her to just go outside when she's older.

Since she's a small dog, you might find that you like the convenience of having the pads and you can continue to allow her to use the papers some or all of the time when she's an adult.

Make sure that the area you keep her in has just enough room for her bed, her bowls and her pad. Extra floor space will just allow her to get in the habit of going on the floor instead of the pads. If the bathroom is too big, you can use a large crate or an exercise pen.

There are good instructions for paper training here: thehousebreakingbible.com

Good luck with your puppy!

answered on Mar 22nd.

Answers

First, well done for taking the week off. A lof of people don't think to do this, but it can really help get things off on the right track and make your pup's adjustment easier for both of you.

Most people will probably advise the crate for training. And, it does work for a lot of people and their pups.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the crate in general, so I think any time you can leave a puppy in an area of the house that can be easily cleaned while you're going through housetraining.

The pee pads are a bad idea, in my opinion. They really mess with the whole idea of housetraining and they kind of set the dog up for failure.

She's going to have a hard time holding it at first, for sure, so is there a way you can come home for lunch for a few weeks,or is there someone whom you trust that can help you with that? I think that would be incredibly helpful and would keep her on track with her housetraining.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

Keep in mind that once you allow a dog to start going to the bathroom inside then it is hard to make them understand to not just go anywhere. Some dogs feel even a piece of paper like the news paper even.I vote it best that you continue with the crate training no pee pads and see if there is a good dog walker in your area that will help you thru the potty training time.It also may help during the times that you just don't feel up to walking the pup or times that you are going to run later then normal.It also helps to not have to rush home after a long day qorring about the pup.You can get a few errands done and then go home. Dog sitters are great.Use the week that you have off to interview them and check on their refferences. Good luck.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 3/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer