HAYLEE

PARVO

ARE THERE ANY LONG TERM, PERMANANT AFFECTS OF HAVING PARVO?
WHEN MOMMIE GOT ME, I HAD PARVO...BUT I SURVIVED, ITS A MIRACLE, I WAS VERY TINY AT THE TIME. DO I HAVE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT NOW?
THANKS,
HAYLEE AND HER MOMMIE

Asked by HAYLEE on Feb 6th 2008 Tagged parvo, healthissues in Illness & Disease

Answers

I do not no the answer for that but I just wanted to say that you are a fighter to have survived and you are just to cute for words.
Love Mia

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

Not real sure on that one, but I have heard Parvo can weaken a pups immune system, I think I would give her a good quality vitamin and good food, just to be on the safe side. Ask your vet, I am sure they can tell you if there are any long term effects. You are one heck of a pup to fight that parvo bug and survive!!! Which leads me to believe you will be fine! Way to go! and as the previous poster said...you really are way too cute!

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 2/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First, congratulations on beating this horrible illness!

There CAN be long term effects from parvo, but they ususally aren't as devastating as those that linger from distemper.

Most of the time, dogs who survive are fairly healthy, but the most common side effects are gastroinstestinal in nature. Considering what most dogs go through with parvo, that isn't too surprising.

Keep in mind that there are actually two parvo syndromes. By far, the most common is the one that effects the gastrointestinal system, but the other involves the cardiac and circulatory system. Dogs rarely survive the latter.

Feeding a high quality food, taking great care of Haylee through proper exercise and twice yearly checkups at the vet (including one thorough blood work per year) can help you monitor any side effects that might crop up.

Finally, it is generally thought that dogs who contract and survive parvo are immune for life, but you may want to talk to your vet about future shots.

Charlie

I also survived parvo when I was a puppy, my mom had me for only a week when we I was diagnosed. I haven't had any long term effects from it so far, and I am a year and a half old, been parvo- free since 3 mos old. Only advice is to give high-quality food and keep up on wormings so no more worms can get in, even though you can't get gastro parvo again if you've had it. Good luck and Luv to a fellow survivor!!

Charlie answered on 2/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lily

Depends on how bad you got it. Technically when we vaccinate our pups, we are giving them parvo in small doses to teach their body to produce antigens to the virus. Long term damage in pups with severe parvo can be liver/kidney damage and more common I've seen stunted growth. Obviously in pups it's hard to determine how much pup is stunted since you didn't know exactly how big they'd be as adults, and from what I've seen the stunting is minimal. It's not like a lab would be 40 lbs or anything. It's just a small drop in size which could be from the immune system dealing with so many other issues that the body did not get proper nutrients to grow. Your pup could also have a weakened immune systme but won't be getting parvo again (kind of like chicken pox). So just watch for the distemper, bordetella, etc. because your pup may be more prone to virus/infection. Overall though I've seen WONDERFUL results and don't think you have any reason for alarm. Just keep Haylee healthy and feed well!

Lily answered on 2/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer