Guest

paracetamol

my 7 month old jack russell puppy has just got hold of a beechams flu drink sachet. most of the contents were over the floor but not sure if she swollowed any? it contains paracetamol does anyone know if shel be okay? she seem fine at the min


Asked by Member 1142038 on Nov 24th 2012 in Swallowing Foreign Objects
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

Paracetamol (known as acetaminophen in America) is deadly to dogs, cats, ferrets, guinea pigs and other pets. The ASPCA lists human medications as the number one reason pets die of poisoning. Topping the medications pets get into is over the counter painkillers, including acetaminophen or paracetamol.

Generally, the smaller the pet, the less paracetamol it needs to swallow in order to die from it. Dogs need to swallow whole pills – which unfortunately they do if hungry and they come across a bottle. But a 50 pound dog needs to swallow 3500 milligrams in order to die. Cats are especially vulnerable and can die from 250 milligrams. Ferrets can die from eating a mere one-fifth of a 325 milligram tablet. Guinea pigs need even less, but fortunately they are usually turned off by the taste to ingest a fatal dose.

Symptoms
ran outta space. will send more


Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 11/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer