♥Poppy♥

Paper Training My Chihuahua Puppy (5wks old)

I need help teaching my Chihuahua puppy to pee and poo on newspaper, i started to teach her by placing some down which didn't work, so i figured if i covered my entire floor in newspaper, she would have to use it, but decided later on to pick it all up because it might just lead her to believe she can pee and poop anywhere in my room, so I've placed down a big enough square of newspaper, around her bed so that when she wakes up its the first thing she pee's on. She is only doing that though, not all the time but most of the time, she pee's on the newspaper, but she poops everywhere in my room, i pick it up and put it on the paper and show her that that is where she has to go but she is not learning. Is there an easier way at teaching her to use the paper? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Asked by ♥Poppy♥ on Sep 16th 2009 Tagged toilettraining, papertraining, housebreaking in Behavior & Training

Answers

B.J., CGC

There is no way a five week old pup has bladder and bowel control enough to know to use only a special area. Why is she not with her mom and littermates still?? A chihuahua should not leave it's litter and dam until a minimum of 10 weeks. Housebreaking is probably going to be the least of your problems with this pup... she has not learned any bite inhibition from her mom and littermates, she has not learned how to play, and she has not learned other important things from her mom and littermates.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Actually a 5 week old given a chance, will remove itself from its sleeping area to eliminate. Behavioral studies suggest a puppy should stay with it mother and litter to at least 6 weeks, but the sooner before 12 weeks, the better. See www.akc.org those doubting that might try reading Scott and Fuller or Pfaffenburger. Even any good dog book.

My friends that keep breeding stock for a large dog guide school actually do start some training by 5 weeks. I have seen a litter of 5 go all afternoon with no accidents.

I strongly recommend using a crate and skipping the papers and going to outside right away. At that age, I wouldn't leave her shut up in a crate more than a couple of hours including over night. Perhaps for a few weeks try a crate in the bathroom with the floor entirely covered with newspaper at night.

For what has worked for us with 7 week old puppies, see www.dogster.com